ADSL not connecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techsprog

Hi All,

I'm attempting to set up a wireless network and can't get past 1st base. I am on AOL Broadband Gold and using their supplied BT Voyager 105 at present. I am attempting to set up a Netgear DG834G to start setting up the system but cannot get it to connect to the internet although I have no problem with the Voyager. All the indications on the DG834G are good so it would appear that it is working as it should. However, when I load the Netgear Resources disc and it tells me to click the settings button (the first action) it tries to connect with the internet but does not get past the initialization phase. I am connected to the primary PC by cable and the OS is XP and running AOL 9. The Ethernet card is a recent addition to the PC but it is working OK according to PROPERTIES. Incidently, I've also tried to connect using the DG834G with my laptop with the same result. Anyone any suggestions please.

Cheers

No. I can't get that far. Everything stops at the AOL initilization screen which is prompted by the Netgear Setup CD.

OK. just to start with, ignore that cd, and ignore the aol software.

Configure your computer to connect to the web through your router.
Open a browser and point it to the routers IP address.
Enter the default password and username (probably admin and admin)
Go through the routers setup wizard (ie, click the router pages setup link in your browser) to configure to connect to AOL.
see if you have an internet connection.

It's probably best if you do this through a wired network until you know it's working.

OK, thanks Spike I'll try that. Being chased out to do the garden now for the rest of the day - I'' have a crack at it this evening. Be in touch.

Cheers

Hi Spike,

OK I'm now connected to the internet via ethernet ca ble to the router and am now going to try to set up the wireless side of the set up. Does it matter if I keep the cable link as well as the wireless link to this PC.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back