Advent 7107 No Sound

Advent 7107
Windows XP SP3

I bought an Advent laptop from a generous guy, I paid far less for it than it is worth - this needs to be mentioned, if I give him is dues as I am doing now - I will receive good Karma.
On to the tech issue - Windows 7 was on the PC when I bought it, worked well but was slow.
I installed Ubuntu on it, now I have XP on it as well. The PC runs faster and smoother, only one problem, the lack of sound.

I have installed the chipset drivers from the Intel site. I have also attempted to install the hotfix from Microsoft but I am informed - the software I am attempting to install is older than the current version. I have installed various conextant audio drivers but still no driver is compatible with the sound card. I have also installed the modem driver (I do not require to use the modem) and it displays the same error in device manager, code 28. I am fed up, how do I solve this problem?

I know that in some old computers - If the modem was disabled in bios, this sometimes solved similar sound issues. I doubt this is the issue, I've only done a bit of research on this but it appears to be a common problem that is usually solved by applying the hotfix.

http://www.adventsupport.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4887

List any Problem devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save as a text file to your Desktop
  • Click the Upload a File button to upload and attach the file to your next TechSpot post

Apologies for the late reply. I happened upon a set of drivers, installed them, now sound is working ok. I would have sworn to God I installed or attempted to, the correct drivers more than once.
This is where I got the drivers http://mrpcrescue.weebly.com/quanta-tw3-eaa-89-drivers.html

I am having various issues with my OS, missing files, I am having what seem to be other HDD issues. maybe this had an effect on the sound.

Back