TechSpot

Advent 7107 No Sound

By ErrSpot
Aug 30, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Advent 7107
    Windows XP SP3

I bought an Advent laptop from a generous guy, I paid far less for it than it is worth - this needs to be mentioned, if I give him is dues as I am doing now - I will receive good Karma.
    On to the tech issue - Windows 7 was on the PC when I bought it, worked well but was slow.
    I installed Ubuntu on it, now I have XP on it as well. The PC runs faster and smoother, only one problem, the lack of sound.

I have installed the chipset drivers from the Intel site. I have also attempted to install the hotfix from Microsoft but I am informed - the software I am attempting to install is older than the current version. I have installed various conextant audio drivers but still no driver is compatible with the sound card. I have also installed the modem driver (I do not require to use the modem) and it displays the same error in device manager, code 28. I am fed up, how do I solve this problem?

I know that in some old computers - If the modem was disabled in bios, this sometimes solved similar sound issues. I doubt this is the issue, I've only done a bit of research on this but it appears to be a common problem that is usually solved by applying the hotfix.

http://www.adventsupport.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4887

2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,373   +167

List any Problem devices
    • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
    • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
    • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
    • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
    • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
    Generate and attach a DirectX report
    • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
      ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
      ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
    • Notice progress in lower left window corner
    • When done, click Save Information button and save as a text file to your Desktop
    • Click the Upload a File button to upload and attach the file to your next TechSpot post

3. ErrSpot

ErrSpot TS Rookie Topic Starter

Apologies for the late reply. I happened upon a set of drivers, installed them, now sound is working ok. I would have sworn to God I installed or attempted to, the correct drivers more than once.
    This is where I got the drivers http://mrpcrescue.weebly.com/quanta-tw3-eaa-89-drivers.html

I am having various issues with my OS, missing files, I am having what seem to be other HDD issues. maybe this had an effect on the sound.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.