Advertising watchdog tells Star Citizen to clarify that the concept ships it sells aren't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: It's been 11 years since Star Citizen went into pre-production, but the ambitious space sim still has no final version release date, and some supporters are losing their patience. One of them went so far as to complain to the UK's Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) over its practice of selling virtual concept ships to keep on funding development, but the agency has handed out little more than a warning.

As reported by Eurogamer, Reddit user Mazty filed a complaint with the ASA in July over the sale of virtual concept ships, which aren't actually in the game but are scheduled to appear at some point, though even that could change.

The complaint came after a marketing email was sent out to subscribers that stated, "Last Chance to Grab the Gatac Railen!" and "Don't miss your chance to pledge for the Gatac Manufacture Railen. This alien concept ship will be leaving the pledge store on Monday..." The email failed to clarify that the Railen is not in the game yet, and there's no estimated date for when it will appear.

The ASA assessed the complaint and concluded that "the fact the ship was a concept product could have been made clearer."

"On that basis, we issued an Advice Notice advising the advertiser, in future, to ensure that its ads include any material information and significant limitations."

An Advice Notice doesn't involve any financial penalties. They are issued when the ASA considers there to be problems, but they aren't significant enough to warrant a full investigation. Despite amounting to little more than a slap on the wrist, the notice has prompted Star Citizen developer Cloud Imperium Games to make it clear what buying the concept ships entails.

"The Crusader Ares (Inferno and Ion), A2 Hercules, Genesis Starliner, are being offered here as a limited vehicle concept pledge," reads the latest email.

"This means that the vehicle is in development but is not yet ready to display in your Hangar or fly in Star Citizen. It will be available as playable content in a later patch. In the future, the vehicle price may increase and Lifetime Insurance or any extras may not be available."

Additionally, players who buy the concept ship will now receive a loaner vehicle for the game that offers similar size and functionality as the Railen.

Mazty isn't satisfied with the outcome. They say that "the wording is still extremely misleading as they claim the ships WILL be playable."

Despite all the controversy, the total amount of money crowdfunded by Star Citizen passed $350 million from over 3 million backers in March. Those waiting for the Squadron 42 single-player element, which features Hollywood stars such as Henry Cavill, Gillian Anderson, Mark Hamill, Gary Oldman, Mark Strong, and John Rhys Davies, were disappointed in December when all mention of the beta was removed from its roadmap. A couple of months earlier, studio boss Chris Roberts ominously warned that it would be "done when it's done."

A damning report in 2019 shone a light on Star Citizen’s troubled development and Roberts. Former Cloud Imperium employees painted him as a poor micromanager while describing the work environment as being chaotic. There have also been plenty of stories about those who pledged money getting it retuned but only after arduous fight through the courts, while other haven’t been so lucky. But it doesn't seem to have dissuaded people from handing over their cash.

Permalink to story.

At this point, any backer or new backer is easily able to find all the controversy of SC/SQ-42 on the net. However, they still keep handing over money and then complaining that THEY handed over their money.

I get the controversy and the doubt whether either of these games will ever happen. But that anyone can find this out and they then complain, after finding this out and knowingly handing over their money despite the bad internet publicity then complain that they handed over their money - WTF! :facepalm: They chose to hand over their money. Cloud Imperium Games is not sending thugs to their houses demanding or extorting money. IMO, people should take responsibility for their own actions and turn up their BS detectors before handing over their money.

At this point, any backer or new backer is easily able to find all the controversy of SC/SQ-42 on the net. However, they still keep handing over money and then complaining that THEY handed over their money.

I get the controversy and the doubt whether either of these games will ever happen. But that anyone can find this out and they then complain, after finding this out and knowingly handing over their money despite the bad internet publicity then complain that they handed over their money - WTF! :facepalm: They chose to hand over their money. Cloud Imperium Games is not sending thugs to their houses demanding or extorting money. IMO, people should take responsibility for their own actions and turn up their BS detectors before handing over their money.
Agreed.

Like any form of entertainment, money spent on such things should automatically be deemed a loss. If you needed it that bad, you shouldn't have spent it - regardless of what you feel the value is or if you received it.

Star Citizen has been in development long enough now that anyone putting money in should already know this, but if they do not, anyone paying the slightest attention on robertsspaceindustries.com can understand that the game is still in alpha and that concept ships that go on sale are not available until a future (unknown) date and that buying said ship early gives you access to certain benefits (reduced price, lifetime insurance, etc) that are all plainly listed. If they are uncertain what all of that means, a simple Google search or a hop on to the forums will give plenty more information so you can make an inform decision. There are literal disclaimers on the ship page and at checkout. These messages have been all over the site for YEARS now.

Clearly, these people do not read or understand what they are doing. Someone needs to take their credit cards away.

I wonder what a deeper investigation would find considering that, the ship promotional pages have had a similar disclaimer for as long as I can remember, before you can buy anything even physical items theirs another and now even when you launch the game theirs one.

Also I guess it would be the right thing to mention that these ships could never exist. But it still seems kind of weird to mention since the company doesn't seem to have any lack of ability to make ships and put them in the game, considering its their literal bread and butter. now the features that should accompany those ships sure, like the Reclaimer it should have launched with salvage but its been delayed quite a few times now. So in that since yeah half of the Reclaimer is effectively missing even though it does look cool in game.

I do follow the game rather closely and theirs not many ships I really feel fall into the category of "wont exist" its gotten to the point were, at least I believe that if CIG sells a ship it will be made and added in game since the people who make and design them seem to be really good at that. my worries more so lye with certain gameplay features that need to exist for some ships to even really exist, noticeably the HULL line. The hull C has been known model and engine ready for years now but the way it holds cargo is dependent or tech that's not ready yet. roadmap shows its planned for the Q4 patch but things like to move around so who knows.

But yeah I could just be the dense fool and all but cant say I really feel lied to though.

Last edited:
Yeah, I would think that these ships being called "concept" would be clear enough. Heck, even using the term "pledge" implies your not really getting anything yet.

And then considering how long they've been doing concept/pledge buys, someone should be holding this guy's hand when it comes to buying digital stuff...

- as carved on its gravestone.
NO this false.
End of kickstarter was Nov. 2012. At this time the whole company was... 12 guys not all being devs, no studios, no pipelines, generic game engine and 6 M$.
What they did before that date was to prepare the kickstarter: few videos and a concept of game.

Yeah, I would think that these ships being called "concept" would be clear enough. Heck, even using the term "pledge" implies your not really getting anything yet.

And then considering how long they've been doing concept/pledge buys, someone should be holding this guy's hand when it comes to buying digital stuff...

The guy is indeed one of the very active refundian. A group of roughly 60 guys making threads in all direction to soil the project.
Concept + multiple disclaimer was not clear enough lol.... More new backers are joining every day, despite those prepared drama. One every year, just before CIG Citizencon. How surprising.

The guy is indeed one of the very active refundian. A group of roughly 60 guys making threads in all direction to soil the project.
Concept + multiple disclaimer was not clear enough lol.... More new backers are joining every day, despite those prepared drama. One every year, just before CIG Citizencon. How surprising.

Yo, with the current committed features coming to 3.15 I cant say that im not already pretty exited for the patch. With citcon right around the corner too the anticipation is building lol since what they show off for the even never disappoints, maybe what happens after but well get to it when we get to it.

If someone asked me to hand over money for a game that may or may not ever be completed, I'd laugh at them. After 11 years, this is really starting to look like a scam job.
A good Retirement idea, at this point its insane its carried on this long, should be investigated

To soil the project?! Robert should be arrested for fraud.

Star Citizen comment sections are always a painful read. You have the odd person who actually follows the development and know the game is real and is actually coming along.

Then you have "the specials" who just shout "scam", "fraud" or some other rubbish without really any reason. Guess it's just a meme to sh*t on the game I guess.

...my worries more so lye with certain gameplay features that need to exist for some ships to even really exist, noticeably the HULL line. The hull C has been known model and engine ready for years now but the way it holds cargo is dependent or tech that's not ready yet. roadmap shows its planned for the Q4 patch but things like to move around so who knows.

But yeah I could just be the dense fool and all but cant say I really feel lied to though.
The Hull is coming this year. Two of them at least which pave the road for the 2 last one. Those ships were dependent on none implemented tech, till last quarter, used for moving docking hub + physical grids. The tech is now in game so ships using it can become available.

Wonder how much these dummies will charge for the actual game. Ultimate Edition?!? 15grand plz
Wonder how much these dummies will charge for the actual game. Ultimate Edition?!? 15grand plz
You are far from reality.

SC can be pledged for 45 or even 35$ during a couple of event each year. One of them is Citizencon in October. In fact both game SQ42 (solo) and SC (MMO) can be pledged for roughly 60$

To soil the project?! Robert should be arrested for fraud.
LOL... for delivering more than what you paid for? For letting everyone (including none backers) play the full latest build for free during weeks every year? For selling game at 45 or even 35$ (during events) with all flyable ships available with in game Credits not cash?

LOL... for delivering more than what you paid for? For letting everyone (including none backers) play the full latest build for free during weeks every year? For selling game at 45 or even 35$ (during events) with all flyable ships available with in game Credits not cash?
Anytime "Star Citizen" encounters bad press,(**) this forum can count on you being visited upon us.

BTW, when will this game actually be released in something other than an "alpha" edition? Or for that matter, with real and not imaginary "spaceships"?

And while we're on the topic, what do you get out of all this?

(**) Which is pretty much every time there's an article written about it.

Anytime "Star Citizen" encounters bad press,(**) this forum can count on you being visited upon us.

BTW, when will this game actually be released in something other than an "alpha" edition? Or for that matter, with real and not imaginary "spaceships"?

And while we're on the topic, what do you get out of all this?

(**) Which is pretty much every time there's an article written about it.
The same can said from full-time naysayers/haters providing twisted when not straight fake information or reporting bugs that have been fixed since many quarters.

What I get from it? Nothing but providing information, facts and numbers that are based on reality not some fiction.
When it will be released? When done, contrary to all others AAA's that are copy/paste of the same old two decades games, re-skinned version and now remaster everywhere.

What I get from it? Nothing but providing information, facts and numbers that are based on reality not some fiction.
When it will be released? When done, contrary to all others AAA's that are copy/paste of the same old two decades games, re-skinned version and now remaster everywhere.
So, are you trying to claim all the bad press Star Citizen receives is completely unfounded?

And just what exactly is, "when done? When you hit the billion dollar pledge level? When Chris Roberts has a car collection equal to, or better than, Jay Leno's?

I'll tell you when I'll consider it "done", when I can log into Newegg and download it for $29.95. Nome of this alpha nonsense and buying imaginary spaceships for me.

Last edited:
- like carving on a gravestone.
Frankly, I think somebody should take X-Plane 11, or a good combat flight simulator, re-skin it as outer space, and be done with it

All you have to do, (I know that's easier said than done), is program thrusters to act in place of aerial flight controls. You know, Yaw, Pitch, and Roll. Face it, flying in an atmosphere is the same three dimensions as flying in space..

Star Citizen comment sections are always a painful read. You have the odd person who actually follows the development and know the game is real and is actually coming along.

Then you have "the specials" who just shout "scam", "fraud" or some other rubbish without really any reason. Guess it's just a meme to sh*t on the game I guess.
"without really any reason" - it's pretty evident to everybody except those that put a ton of money into the game that it is a scam just meant to milk people as much as they can.

"Last Chance to Grab the Gatac Railen!" - this sounds like one of those cheap f2p mobile games full of useless mtx.

"Buy something that doesn't exist and you don't know if it will ever exist (we, SC staff, assure you that even we don't know if we will make it or not, but we'll still sell it to you)".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back