Adverts on main TechSpot page

Mark56

Has anyone else had this problem.

On several occassions recently an add will appear just below the tabs bar at the top of the Forums page of this site. Then when I click on "Quick Links" the drop down menu is covered by the add and I have to refresh the page to get rid of it.

Another issue that I never got an answer for is the smilies list, available when writing messages, is incomplete and cannot be scrolled to reveal its full content.

Well, the quick links thing is not available on our homepage, so I assume you are talking about the TechSpot's forum section home. But regardless of that, the behavior you describe is typical of a combination of an older version of flash and an older web browser, could that be the case?

Thanks for the reply.

Well, the quick links thing is not available on our homepage, so I assume you are talking about the TechSpot's forum section home

Ooops, you are quite correct.

combination of an older version of flash and an older web browser, could that be the case?

Well, I am on IE9 so that rules that out and have just installed Flash Player latest version so I'll see if the add problem happens again.

Still can't get the full list of smilies when writing posts using the Advanced option, Only get the first nine to choose from and the scroll bar has no movement available. This did work some time ago when I was using IE8 but stopped working before I upgraded to IE9. My knowledge is more for dealing with crashes and BSOD's so this one has got me baffled.

I don't use the smilies very often but it would be nice to have access to all of them.

Tested on :
IE 8.0.6001.18702IC
Opera 11.10 Build 2092
Chrome 10.0.648.204
Firefox 4.0
Safari 5.0.5

Flash version :
10.2.159.1 (latest)

All on XP. No issue with drop down menu showing behind adverts. I'll check Win7 with IE9 when I get home from work.
Possibly a nice new IE only interpretation of DIV layering or something like that :)

May be now my Flash version is up to date the advert overlap won't happen again but have you any idea what the problem is with the smilies drop down menu. (I'd insert a "Confused" smilie here but can't get to it)

Back