Advice appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upon installing another harddrive in my pc, i inadvertently knocked a tube out of my liquid cooled system. This never leaked until (obviously) under pressure sprayed coolant all over my MB and graphics cards.
I immediately powered off, took out and dried off all parts, but once reassembled i'm getting a continous beeping. This i believe means a power issue? I have checked my psu with a tester and all lights except the -5v is lighting up.
Does this add up and is it simply a new psu i need? Everything else lights up and powers on fine, but i cannot get onto windows.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You may need a new power supply but I would first try another one just to make sure. The problem could also lie with the motherboard itself. How long after you dried the parts did you wait before reassembly? The slightest amount of moisture in one of the power sockets, on the mobo, will cause problems. Hopefully you didn't short anything out but I'm sure the motherboard wouldn't even give you the time of day if that were the case.

Look at your motherboard manual for more information on the beeps and what they mean. I'd be inclined towards saying it's a RAM problem though. Also, if all the fans spin up and the PC doesn't boot, it is highly likely that the mobo is dead.

As for the PSU, check it using a multimeter to make sure it is working or not.

update!!

Checked the ram and all these are fine!
Ended changing the motherboard for a 2nd hand duplicate (asus p5w dh deluxe), and this has cured the "beeping" problem. Now the problem i have is i cannot get into windows, the xp load screen comes up then the system resets.

I've been told that i need to reinstall windows and have tried to do this on both a formatted and unformatted drive, and even tried a repair all with no luck.
As soon as i get to the screen: press enter to continue,
press R to repair
press f3 to exit
The system just resets and starts over again!!

Does anyone have any ideas on this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back