Advice for a LAN party

By CombinationZero
Dec 10, 2008
  1. Before I begin my post, I'm Andrew aka CombinationZero and I am a new member to this community (If I missed the introduction category I apologize). I'm 15 years old and I believe I am knowledgeable in the computer category in my own way :). I came here to learn new things, I hope I'm welcome.

Now down with things, It's been 2 years since I have began my custom building of computers and parts are lying around. My friend and I are thinking of hosting a lan party at his house for some Call of Duty 4 and Counter Strike:Source. I thought I could build a dedicated server with my spare parts because I thought it might be better than a client hosting such as myself. Most of it is from my first PC (bought last year).

Specs are:

Motherboard: Not sure, Came with a Compaq Presario PC
    CPU: AMD 2.2ghz
    GPU: Integrated 128mb memory
    Ram: 1gb 667mhz
    HDD: 80gb IDE (Will get rotation speed if you request)

It will be a small lan, perhaps 10-15 people. I would like some advice on what needs to be improved. I have a budget of $100 (AU). If anything needs to be added please inform me here or via PM.

2. ragebflame

ragebflame TS Rookie Posts: 76

3. CombinationZero

CombinationZero TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 31

Thank you so much!

Btw I was considering using linux as a hosting platform, would that be wise?
  4. ragebflame

ragebflame TS Rookie Posts: 76

5. CombinationZero

CombinationZero TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 31

Thanks very much for your help :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.