Advice for Memory Upgrade?

Hi folks, I love to do video editing using adobe premiere, but as videos are recorded more often in HD even from my smartphone feels like there is not enough power anymore.

My system is Biostar Hi-Fi A85W motherboard with AMD A8-6500 and 4 GB DDR3. Now I am wondering if a memory upgrade to 8 GB would really make sense in that case? Or could it be a too slow CPU and I have to replace my current board?

I will be glad to hear your advice!

That is a newly released CPU, so it is not slow. Plus, it is a quad core. If you just do basic computing tasks, the 8GB will allow you to multitask more. Check out this site for what RAM to buy: http://goo.gl/95Yh

If you are only using the integrated video, you would do well to get a discrete or separate video card. The $100 or so you would spend on another CPU would be better spent here. I don't mean to say you shouldn't get more RAM, I do. I run an older quad core and do video transcribing on a regular basis with 8GB and a couple years old Radeon 6670 1GB card and happily multitask with no issues.

If you are only using the integrated video, you would do well to get a discrete or separate video card. The $100 or so you would spend on another CPU would be better spent here. I don't mean to say you shouldn't get more RAM, I do. I run an older quad core and do video transcribing on a regular basis with 8GB and a couple years old Radeon 6670 1GB card and happily multitask with no issues.

AMD GPUs have great graphics. The Richland CPU he has is fine, the GPU is actually quite powerful. If he is gaming, then get a graphics card. If he isnt gaming, dont bother.

Check RAM usage. If it's 80% or higher, jump up to more RAM. - 8GB.

RAM will help while working with the files. When you're done and you're exporting, your CPU/GPU will come into play.

Thats great help guys. The memory update will be my first choice then. the graphics performance is just fine for now, but I think another graphics card does not fit into my budget at the moment. I will update to 8 GB first and see how it works for me...

I am also using the APU from AMD and honestly the performance is more then enough for mid class gaming! Of course, high end graphics will always need an extra graphics card but thats another budget...

Guys I just followed you recommendation and put more memory up. It seems that swapping is less than before but of course I hoped to get a bigger boost.... Well maybe I just have to be lucky with what I have :D

a new CPU is not really what I want for now but for the next option I will see if there is any cheap graphics upgrade available.

Back