Advice on a gaming notebook, please?

Classic Rock

I am going to be heading off to Africa in about 6 months from now, and I am going to stay there for a while. Anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. I will be in the middle of the African Savannah, and between woeking and sleeping I will not have a lot to do.

After dark it is really not recommended to go outside so I will need a decent gaming laptop that will be able to play games easily, and preferably play games that will come out in one years time. (High hopes for my price range, I know, lol)

So if anyone knows anything about gaming laptops, please help me out. I know I'm not likely to get anything under a $1000 (Australian Dollars, not American) But I really do not want to go over$1500 or at the worst $2000. Also, Newegg doesn't ship to Aus, neither does TigerDirect.

I have an 8800GT and Q6600 in my desktop at the moment, what sort of GPU would I need in a laptop to get similar or better performance when playing games?

Is there a chart that someone knows of that shows a rough relation between desktop and mobile GPU power or benchmarks?

Any information would be helpful, and I would appreciate it very muc.

Thanks in advance.

My girl friend has a HP Pavilion DV6 (dv6-2153eo) and it's a rly good
gaming notebook that dosn't cost much! We payed 729€ for it.
AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core @ 2.5GHz, 6Gb DDR2 Ram, w7 Home Premium and so on....

God damn it. Bloody trackpad on the computer. I clicked it with my damn wrist. Anyway, thanks for the help so far. I also have found a neat little website that shows a rough scale of notebook GPU power.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-480M-SLI.32129.0.html

I had a look at the review you mentioned Zorro, and I can't say thanks enough. So far the only one there that really appeals to me is the Alienware M17x. : ) I know it's bloody expensive, but I have been told I can most likely find a similar specced unit for less elsewhere. Any ideas?

Since I am going to be spending rather a lot of money on this laptop, I really would prefer the GPU's to be somewhere around the GTX260 in SLI or better. Going through the Alienware I can get the M17x for about $2000 AUD plus shipping,if I do not add anything to it. So the specs on the would be:

P8600 @ 2.4 gzh Core 2 Duo
2 GTX 260's in SLI
4GB of Dual Channel DDR3 1066mhz RAM
250GB 7,200RPM HDD
DVD Burner.
A 17" 1440x900 LCD DIsplay

One year of the 'Advanced' warranty

Also, they have a nice backpack made for this laptop. I have read that people have had difficulty carrying this laptop around, because normal 17" carry bags don't fit it.

Anyway, opinions?

God damn it. Bloody trackpad on the computer. I clicked it with my damn wrist. Anyway, thanks for the help so far. I also have found a neat little website that shows a rough scale of notebook GPU power.
Sounds stupid just look at actual benchmarks. Looks like some poor kid is fantasizing in a rambled blog post.

I have an 8800GT and Q6600 in my desktop at the moment, what sort of GPU would I need in a laptop to get similar or better performance when playing games?
An 8800gtm will be almost up to par.

Anyway, opinions?
I think you need a mouse, sir.

Thanks for the info. The benchmarks I saw for the GTX260 SLI config where only slightly better than what I get with my 8800GT

8800GTM is weaker than the 8800gt.
Obviously you should remember that your FPS's are going to be different from their test setups.

Ok, I think I have found a possible contender.

ASUS G73JH-A2 from XoticPC.com - $2160 USD

- 17.3" FHD 16:9 LED Glossy Screen (1920x1080)
with ASUS Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) 30 Day Pixel Guarantee
- Intel® Core™ i7-720QM, 1.60-2.80GHz, (45nm, 6MB L3 cache) - Standard
- Stock OEM Thermal Compound or after-market brandname @ no extra charge
- ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5870 1024MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
- 8,192MB (8GB) DDR3 1066MHz Dual Channel Memory (2GBx4) - Standard
- Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti 8X DVDRW Drive w/ Software
- 80GB Intel G2 X25-M Solid State Drive (SSD Serial-ATA II)
- 1,000GB (1TB) 5200RPM (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)
- 1,000GB (1TB) 5200RPM (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)
- Internal 8-in-1 Card Reader: MMC/SD/Mini-SD/XD/Memory Stick/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo
- Internal Bluetooth + EDR
- Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Asus G Series Matching Backpack made by Targus
- Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
- Asus G Series Gaming Mouse
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Pre-Installed + Drivers & Utilities Disk
- 2 Year ASUS GLOBAL Warranty, 24/7 Support, 1 Year Accidental Coverage & 2-Way Pre-Paid

Shipping for Repairs (N.A. Accidental Requires Registration w/ ASUS)

True. But I'm going to be going from Africa to Australia and back again, hopefully more than once, so I am going to need the "portability" : ) On the bright side, it already is faster than my desktop : )

Back