TechSpot

Advice on a GPU

By Fiery_WA
Aug 1, 2009
  1. Gday

At the moment I have 2 GPU PCI Express cards, the older one is a Nvidia 6800XT, it is in my desktop atm minus the noisy fan, and is running hot idle 88 under load 98.

I also have a Nvidia 9500GT Passive cooled fan which was running at temps idle 66 underload 77-78. Which is also high.

I have since bought a molex fan, which I intend on attaching to the 9500GT.

I am also waiting on a Brand new case VGA PCI fan Best cooler.

I am not a heavy gamer I only play Warcraft 3. And of the two cards even without the fan my old 6800XT, has given me no grief, even running at the high temps it is.

I am hoping the Brand new case VGA PCI fan Best cooler, will do the trick and lower the 6800XT temp down to something reasonable.

If it doesn't, to be honest I am not keen on the 9500GT.

So my question is :- What Nvidia GPU would suit my old OS Win2k, I want it to be a passive cooled one, simply because the noise my 6800XT ended up producing was horrendous.

I am looking at :-
    Gigabyte GF8400GS HP PCI-E 512MB 64-bit GDDR2, DVI-I, VGA, D-Sub, HDCP (GV-NX84S512HP)
    ASUS GeForce 8400GS - 512MB DDR2, 64-bit, DVI+VGA, HDTV, HDCP, Heatsink - PCI-Ex16
    (567MHz, 1.0GHz)
    EVGA E-GEFORCE 7200GS PCI-E 450MHZ 512MB 532MHZ DDR2 DVI-I VGA TV Out Video Card
    Gigabyte GeForce GF8500GT 512MB DDR2 128bit PCIEx16 D-SUB DVI TV-OUT HDCP

2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,291   +25

For Warcraft, go with the cheapest card out of those. All of them will run it super-smooth at maximum detail settings, so take your pick. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.