TechSpot

Advice on a new build

By rv13uk
May 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,

It's been a while since I've been on these forums. I initially joined to check compatibility on my first build, Amd x2 4600, Geforce 7800gt, 1gb DDR ram, Asus A8N-SLI Premium all in the Antec P180. Unfortunately I'm posting this message from that same computer, never did get round to upgrading, about time for a new one I think!

I'm currently looking at the following specs:
    CPU - Either Intel i5 2500k or i7 2600k
    CPU Cooler - ThermalTake Frio
    Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V Pro (although still waiting to see if Z68 is actually worthwhile)
    Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz (CAS 8)
    GPU - Undetermined
    PSU - XFX 750w Black Edition
    Case - Silverstone Fortress FT02B (+Air Penetrator Fans Incl.)
    Optical Drive - Samsung Blu-Ray SH-B123L
    Storage (SDD) - Crucal RealSSD M4 128Gb
    Storage (HDD) - 1xWD Caviar Black 1TB, 1xWD Caviar Green 2TB
    Sound - Asus Xonar Essence ST (Already own)

I've got a Dell 2707wfp thus max resolution will be 1920x1200, so I don't need an ultra powerful GPU (I think). I would like to stand a chance at playing Skyrim when that's released, I considered waiting until then to build the computer. Perhaps go for an Ivy Bridge CPU. From what I can tell though, it's mainly the gpu that affects games anyway, perhaps I could get away with an i5 2500k. Any advice will be appreciated, I'll look into any parts suggested. Budget yet to be determined. I like to have a 'goal pc' then work around it. I could temporarily drop the cooler and blu-ray drive (I've got a spare DVD Drive), perhaps go for CAS 9 RAM and a Samsung F3 1TB HDD to save about £100. A P67 motherboard might reduce it by another £30 or so as well.
  2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,367   +125

I would save my money and get an i5-2500k, and probably a 6950.
    Also, I'd use a cheaper power supply.
  3. rv13uk

rv13uk TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 95

I am tempted to find a different power supply, but only because I hate the fan the XFX includes (it's hideous!), I prefer a sleeker, sophisticated look (reflecting the old antec P180 and now Silverstone FT02). I suppose you may not see the fan once it's in the case but I still don't like it much. I'd probably stick to a similar price though, PSU is one thing I definitely don't want to compromise too much on, whilst it doesn't affect performance directly it's quite possibly going to be something that will last throughout multiple upgrades, and I definitely don't want one failing on me. I might look around for one in the £70-£80 price bracket, I presume 750w is enough.

I think you're right with the i5 2500k, not sure if I'll see a substantial upgrade to the i7 for gaming, and I may upgrade to Ivy Bridge anyway if it proves worthwhile. That does bring up the question of whether it's worth waiting another 6ish months. I know 'new tech is always on the horizon', but I've been living with this pc for a long time now, another 6 months might not hurt. Plus I could see what AMD's offerings are like (I get the feeling they won't compete). i just keep hearing promises of some '2 generation leap' with Ivy Bridge, the 22nm and 3d transistor thing. Maybe it's all hyperbole, I guess I'll have to see how I feel when I come to actually build (looking to be early July at the moment).
  4. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,367   +125

I think bulldozer is worth taking a look at; it might lower prices at least.
    About the 3D transistor, I don't think that'll be anytime soon.
  5. rv13uk

rv13uk TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 95

A few revisions, now looking at:

CPU - Intel i5 2500k
    CPU Cooler - ThermalTake Frio
    Motherboard - MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)
    Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz (CAS 8)
    GPU - MSI 1536MB GeForce GTX 580 Twin Frozr II
    PSU - Silverstone Strider+ 750w
    Case - Silverstone Fortress FT02B (+Air Penetrator Fans Incl.)
    Optical Drive - Samsung Blu-Ray SH-B123L
    Storage (SDD) - Crucal RealSSD M4 128Gb
    Storage (HDD) - 1xSamsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3, 1xWD Caviar Green 2TB
    Sound - Asus Xonar Essence ST (Already own)

Main changes are the CPU is now settled, different motherboard and psu, picked a gpu (although that's still subject to change) and swapped my primary storage hdd (the 1tb hd). Still not sure if it's worth changing the psu purely for aesthetic reasons, I need to work out whether you'll see the fan or not, if not I may stick with the XFX. I considered SLI over a single gpu setup, but I figured when Skyrim comes out the option to sli fairly cheaply will be useful, rather than replacing the graphics completely.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.