Microsoft Window XP
Home Edition
Version 2002, Service Pack 3
2.19Ghz, 1.00GB of RAM

ACPI Uniprocessor PC
AMD Athlon ™ 64 Processor 3700+
NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache™

Hello,

I wish to connect a second monitor to my PC desktop.
My current monitor is a LCD, Plug and Play monitor, manufacturer: standard monitor type, model WJ1780PI, D-12055 - one straight wire, (please see attachment numbered 1) connecting to a VGA port.

There is also another VGA port, (see attachment numbered 2). However I tried taking out the VGA cable from slot 1 and slotting it into slot 2 and it came up that there is no signal?

What would be the best way to get around this. Would a VGA splitter work??

Attachments

• screen shot.jpg
    screen shot.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 16
The VGA port that you have there marked as "2" is the Integrated graphic cards VGP port and it does not work together with the one that is marked as"1". If you want to connect one more display to that graphics card then you will have to use the connectors on the right side of the "1" VGA port. Sadly tho the s-video and the RCA there are mostly used to old projectors and TVs.
So I would say that you will need to get a new graphics card (GPU) to get more displays connected.

To clarify what DjKraid mentioned above, when adding a graphics card, the integrated graphics is usually always disabled. This also frees up system resources that is no longer needed for integrated graphics such as system memory.

I agree with DjKraid and suggest getting a graphics card that supports two monitors. Nearly all graphics cards sold today will support two monitors. Even if it a card that has one DVI port and one VGA port, there is usually a DVI to VGA adapter included if you need two VGA connections.

I hate to bring bad news here, but running a dual monitor setup with your current Nvidia 6200 card flat out isn't going to work! I could be wrong, but in all my computer travels and adventures, I've never seen a 6200 support a dual monitor setup. Especially with the image that you provided, your card is analog only, the "blue" colored connector. I failed to see a white colored D.V.I. connector on your card, therefore with everything I've learned, dual monitor is therefore not possible. Also there's no way for you to have a dual monitor setup by trying to hook one monitor to the blue colored analog port and another to anything else you've got, even including the regular blue analog adapter port off the motherboard itself. If you try, still only one monitor will work.

Personally speaking, if I were in your shoes, I'd start to think about possibly purchasing yourself a more modern video card. The Nvidia 6200 is way "old school" and couldn't take the pounding that modern applications like today's video games will throw at it. Plus if memory serves me right, wasn't the 6200 only certified to support and operate up to directX 7 or 8, that won't cut the mustard with today's applications. You need to fin yourself a video card with at least a D.V.I. port, once you have that, you can then get yourself a "Y"- adapter cable and use that to hook up two monitors on one video channel.

#cliffordcooley - exactly :D

#Zen - sorry for bursting ur bubble but I have ran 2 "displays" with my 6200 (VGA + s-video) :p ...but yes you are right, a more modern computer wouldn't be such a bad idea ;)

There might be a way to get 2 actual displays to that rig, get a VGA splitter (plus the required software)...but I wouldn't say that it's worth it tho...

Zen - sorry for bursting ur bubble but I have ran 2 "displays" with my 6200 (VGA + s-video) :p ...but yes you are right, a more modern computer wouldn't be such a bad idea ;)

Don't worry yourself to much about bursting any of my bubbles! I was just sighting what I thought to be the facts, due to have never personally witnessing a Nvidia 6200 that supported two monitors at the same time. Also I was presuming that the facts I had ever heard about the 6200, due to it just being considered a low level, low budget entry card were true, so I thought maybe something that low level couldn't do anything more than maybe being slightly better than a video adapter off the motherboard back in it's day. But I don't think I told the original poster to go out and buy a new computer, I was mainly saying that a new video card was in order. I personally never try and recommend anyone to buy a new computer, just due to the fact that I don't know what that persons budget is. A new computer for most might be like "breaking the bank" to do! But buying a new video card, now that's a whole lot easier!

Oh sorry, my bad, got disturbed while writing that post :/ ...I meant to say that the 6200 most probably uses an AGP port...and here where I come from u can't find a new GPU which would go to the good old AGP slot so that's why I would recommend a "new" rig (2nd hand)...nothing fancy or anything...just something that is a bit better with more upgrade options for the future also :)
Oh, and also, the 6200 which I had connected to 2 displays went to the AGP port and it had a grand total of 256Mb of memory...and now I have upgraded that 6200 to a low-profile PCI-e version that I use for testing purpouses only :)

where I come from u can't find a new GPU which would go to the good old AGP slot

When it comes to a very modern and powerful AGP slot video card, maybe you just haven't looked in the right place....I found one, pretty good one at that!

Radeon HD 3450 (AGP Slot)
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=agp video card&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9045376101607196347&sa=X&ei=Do0OUIn1K4agiQKozqDRCQ&ved=0COcBEPMCMAY

Not a bad deal, you might want to look into this or something like it for yourself!

When it comes to a very modern and powerful AGP slot video card, maybe you just haven't looked in the right place....I found one, pretty good one at that!

Radeon HD 4670 (AGP Slot)

Not a bad deal, you might want to look into this or something like it for yourself!

I have seen those HD4xxx series AGP GPUs...but the last time I saw one here for sale in any store was like a year ago or so...those prices are also why I would suggest a small update, I got my XFX HD6580 7months ago (brand new and not 2nd hand) for the same as those goes for and no, it was not on sale O_o

Ouch, socket 754.8x AGP. DDR up to 2GB. Sis chipset.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...=12454&prodSeriesId=402657&objectID=c00257657

I would agree the onboard video probably won''t work with a video card installed. At 8x AGP I think there may be insufficient bandwidth for 2 monitors irregardless of others' experience. If you have not spent any money on anything yet, my advice is don't, save for something more recent. Good used machines are always available locally, just check with local shops, local sales websites and friends, relatives and/or work place.

As to what to get, almost anything from 2007 on will do what you are asking and will offer better overall performance.

Good luck.

Back