TechSpot

Advice on soundcard

By kyl1125
Apr 15, 2010
  1. anyone have any advice on a cheap soundcard for my computer have ibm thinkcentre with windows xp have no sound

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

What's the model number of the ibm thinkcentre?

3. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

@tmagic

I can help w/that one as i'm the one who determined kyl1125's sound card was dead (in other thread) and suggested they post for new sound card advice

Code:
       Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514)
               Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: IBM
           System Model: 818343U
                   BIOS: Phoenix FirstBios(tm) Desktop Pro Version 2.0 for IBM ThinkCentre.
              Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
                 Memory: 1014MB RAM

4. Tmagic650

Thanks LookinAround,
    I just look for 0 reply threads most of the time

5. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

Creative Audigy 4 anyone? Those gotta be running around $30 nowadays...

I suggest just running down to the nearest retailer and picking up something that fits his budget. Low end sound cards are all pretty much the same if you ask me; dime a dozen.

6. Zilliak

Zilliak TS Booster Posts: 164

I picked up a 50$ external soundcard xfi and it works wonders like honestly worth the money

7. Zilliak

Zilliak TS Booster Posts: 164

get it at best buy.

8. Tmagic650

Yeah, since hes running XP he will need an add-on sound card... The higher end motherboards on-board sound is much better than many add-on audio cards now days

9. encarnacion247

encarnacion247 TS Rookie

hey help me how to install pci sound card.. the computer said that no sound card installed in my system. but when instaleed the one just bought it wont work! please help

10. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,980   +362

Make sure you disable the onboard sound in the BIOS and uninstall any sound drivers first. When you install the new sound card, be sure to install the sound card drivers or it won't work.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.