Advice on upgrading my current build for VR / Index - AMD vs Intel

Looking to upgrade my current build primary to support judder-free gaming on VR (have a Valve Index on order) and gaming on a 4K TV. Looking to capture the most frames as possible as I am very sensitive to motion sickness / nausea. I get frequent judder / dropped frames on my HTC Vive + Oculus Rift today.

I believe my CPU is the major bottle-neck right now. Am torn between the Ryzen 3700 - 3900 series vs the new Intel i5-10600K or i7-10700. Really looking for performance and can stretch my budget if necessary. I am thinking every frame counts in VR. At the same time, don’t want to overspend for no tangible difference. Will upgrade GPU later this year when the new cards come out.

My current build:

CPU: i5-4590S 3.0 GHz 65W
MB: MSI Z97-Gaming-7
GFX: EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition - 11GB
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 (4x4GB)
HD: ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2
PSU: Corsair CX750M - Bronze

On aother point that has been made, but not sure if it has merit, is that the new console will use a Ryzen CPU and games will increasingly be optimized for them. Do you think that should be taken into account in this decision?

Appreciate your thoughts on above build and what you would change to accomplish similar objective?

I would suggest waiting for more Ryzen XT model CPUs vs the Intel 10th gen.. and agree on waiting for the new GPUs.

Back