Advice on what to do with my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshb21

Hi my laptop charger broke after like a year of having it and i presumed it was a regular thing as my friends broke aswell but now after buying another 3 months ago its broken again and the manufacture posted me the following message.

Hi

The adapter fitting loosely and charging intermittently is a typical sign of damage to the laptop's AC pod (where you plug the charger in). Unfortunately, the AC pod of a laptop is very fragile and unreliable, and it just takes a bit of heat for the pod to warp and crack, making the charger look at fault. Chargers will either work 100% or not at all, so intermittent charging is rarely a fault with the adapter. I'd recommend you get your laptop checked at a local PC repair shop (*not* PC World) to get the fault confirmed and/or fixed.

As you maybe able to tell the prblem with it was that it only worked in certain possisions and sometimes made my power button turn red bt now it won't work at all is it worth taking it to a shop or is the charger just the problem.

What makes you think the AC Adapter is at fault and not the AC Pod as suggested by the Manufacturer?

it only worked in certain possisions and sometimes made my power button turn red bt now it won't work at all

This is an intermittent problem, which, in my opinion points to
1) the answer you already received... (or, less likely)
2) damage to the power cord, due to abuse... failure in 3 months is just overwhelming! and you would likely be able to see external signs of the internal damage to the cord.

Repairing the "AC Pod" may or may not be economical. Only your repair tech will be able to say.
Given the prices on computers these days, your best bet might be (maybe...)
to backup your data, and just replace the laptop.

Replace the power unit (charger, as you call it)...
Have the AC Pod inspected and possibly repaired...
Bite the bullet and replace the computer...

You will need to weigh these options for yourself. What is certain is that your computer is little more than a doorstop/brick without power.

hi after posting my last post the charger now doesn't work at all but my old one does does this change the problem or is it still the ac pod itself

how much would it cost to repair it on average if that is what it needs

as an alternative, you can buy generic chargers. Ensure the voltage and wattage meet your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back