TechSpot

Advice on XP Pro vs. Win 7 Pro

By skipro_98
Oct 15, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I need to purchase a new laptop for my company as a mobile satellite sales point. Our clients run XP Pro SP3 and server is Win Serv 2003 with SQL Serv 2000. I can get a machine with Vista downgraded to XP Pro SP3 or Win 7 Pro that has XP Pro already in it. The money is the same. I am leaning towards a Lenovo. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
  2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,592   +864

With Win 7 Pro, you can communicate with XP, (or Vista) without any special concessions. However, you can't form certain aspects of a home network with mixed OSes, they all have to be Win 7.

With Win 7 Pro, you are entitled to download a copy of "XP Mode", and Windows "Virtual PC". This is a virtual machine program, that for all intents and purposes, is a valid copy of Win XP Pro, 32 bit. And it's free!

So, you don't have to downgrade anything, if you have 7 Pro, you've already got the makings of XP Pro SP-3

All the info you need is on this M$ Download Center search page....http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx

I should add, the memory requirements to run the system in a virtual machine are high. I suppose that a 64 bit laptop would, or should come, with 4GB of RAM installed, but if not, opt for that amount of memory.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.