Advice re: recording software

Dawn1113

[FONT=Arial]I want to try multi-track recording with my PC, possibly using my old Fostex four-track recorder as a kind of intermediate platform.[/FONT][FONT=Arial] [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Can you guys recommend software that would allow me to record multi-track demos, maybe even add effects to my instrument tracks as I go along? [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT][FONT=Arial]I'd prefer something with a simple, noob-friendly interface.[/FONT][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Nothing too complicated as I have no experience using this kind of software.[/FONT][FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Thanks in advance for your advice.[/FONT]

Hi, I use Audacity, which is very professional, but can be tricky to learn from scratch, but I think this one is slightly easier to use;
http://www.free-audio-editor.com/
They give similar results, and both are worthwhile learning, the only problems I have had before (with both) was in connecting the audio source to the pc, and to get the program to record from it.
A sound card with line-in connections is a good idea, but I have had results using the pc's front panel 'mic' socket, as long as the level is kept low.

Hey, thanks, guys! These look excellent. I'm going to take a look at Audacity, first, and then check Free Audio Editor if I have trouble learning how to use the former. I've checked the links and these apps look to be precisely the kind I had in mind.

This'll be great! I'm excited to bounce a few tracks around already. Probably spend the weekend learning the stuff -- which is always fun.

Again, thanks guys.

Another vote for Audacity here. :)

Yes, Audacity works for me, and you might also like a look here - www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb03/articles/linuxaudio.asp Cubase is truly excellent if you have some money to spare (does everything, you can learn as little as you need or spend the rest of your life at it!)

[FONT=Arial]Yes, I have Audacity installed now.[/FONT][FONT=Arial]I've not had any problems with it thus far.[/FONT][FONT=Arial]I've kept things very simple and I'm happy with it for now. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I've got a couple of musician friends who use Cubase. They seem to be able to do some amazing things with it. I'll have to look into that as I gain a bit more experience. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Thanks for your inputs, guys. Much appreciated.[/FONT]

If you start making any money on whatever you are doing, I'd actually like to recommend an Adobe product. Adobe Audition.

I used it extensively when I was getting paid decent money to work, and it is like Audacity, but a lot more elegant and I found it easier to use. Also a lot more visually appealing, which perhaps isn't that important to you, but it was for me when I was using screenshots of audio files in their spectro form to use in getting across information.

But, I do not think it is worth paying for over Audacity when you aren't making any money (or not much).

If you start making any money on whatever you are doing, I'd actually like to recommend an Adobe product. Adobe Audition.

I used it extensively when I was getting paid decent money to work, and it is like Audacity, but a lot more elegant and I found it easier to use. Also a lot more visually appealing, which perhaps isn't that important to you, but it was for me when I was using screenshots of audio files in their spectro form to use in getting across information.

But, I do not think it is worth paying for over Audacity when you aren't making any money (or not much).

Not much at all. The last time I was paid decent money -- enough to last me a month, at least -- for creating music was a year ago. I do sessions from time to time -- but those never pay any real dough. Unfortunately, I'm no Stevie Ray Vaughn. :D

I've heard good things about Adobe Audition. That's what most of my friends use, I think. If I do decide to buy software for recording, I'd probably check Audition out first as it seems to be quite popular.

Thanks for the excellent input, SNGX1275.

Back