Adware/Virus Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm home for my spring break, and as usual my mom's computer needs fixing. Somehow in 3 months her new computer (granted, not great, but good enough) went from moving nice and smooth, to being full of viruses, malware, and adware.

I ran Avast and deleted 12 viruses/malware from the computer (how in the hell could she get so many????), then ran Spybot, which said there were no problems... well, the computer is still slow as molasses, and IE wants to pop up every 30 minutes or so to direct me to some pages, so I assume theres a crapload of adware on the computer... well, I ran Ad-Aware, it begins working, and then all of the sudden it gives me the blue screen of death, and gives me this message:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

So, I guess my questions are thus:
1. what is this problem, and why is it being caused? Did I install Adaware wrong, or is something else screwing up?
2. if you guys think it is Ad-Aware, should I try some other ad-killing program (and what should I try?)
3. anything else you might think I should try on the computer?

Thanks a lot again everyone... (sorry if this happens to be in the wrong thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back