After 20 minutes of inactivity, Windows 7 blue screens

Zachareye

I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS

I have a HP p6310y

Recently removed my ATI HD3650 (seems to be bad, drivers would not update, and other problem were occurring like streaming video online or in media center would not work) and switched to the Nvidia GeForce 9100 on board video (all problems solved) and shortly after this particular problem started. After about 20 minutes of inactivity I get the blue screen error, after powering down and up Windows starts normal but the problem still remains. I have already made sure Windows updates were all up-to-date and the manufacture update were as well, I also was sure to remove all ATI drivers and software (even used driver sweeper). I have noticed that when I try and adjust the screen saver settings to see if that is where the problem is that I cannot, and what I mean is I click it and it does not open up, everything else does in the control panel (sounds, backgrounds, themes, wallpapers, but not screen saver) What other recommendation do you all have?

Thank you in advance

Do you have power-saving enabled on monitor, video card, disc drives, printers ? Do you have a screen-saver enabled

If so disable all power-saving and screen-savers to see if the problem goes away. If so, you can re-enable one by one until you find out which causes the problem. It can be just a case of needing an updated driver for the faulting device.

On your evidence, you have a screen-saver which is conflicting with your video driver, so bin it.

I agree with 'gbhall', the fact that it shuts down after 20 mins is a good clue. Is it possible that a screensaver was downloaded, i.e. not one that was included in Windows? If so it's possible that it uses a screen mode that your graphic card doesn't support. Another option is to look at your 'power plan', select 'balanced' as it's a good compromise.

No new screen savers ever, the screen saver issue i am running into is that it is the ONLY control panel option that I can not even get into to disable or adjust. The display is set to never turn off and the computer is set to never go to sleep but the problem still occurs. I am adjust the hard drive settings now to see if that is a possible cause for the crash, but the fact that I can not even get into the screen saver option in the control panel is what is concerning me. I am trying to avoid a system recovery because it takes so much time to get all my programs back on the computer and all update done, but that is an option I am considering.

screensaver info

Have found this info after a search for similar problems. I can't test this, so you need to be familiar with 'regedit' to use this mod. Probably best to say to back up your registry first, so you can go back if required. You need to search for the key called 'screensaveactive', (edit, find, find what,) When the search finds the key, you should see a value of 0, and you need to change it to 1. If you are NOT TOTALLY CONFIDENT with registry work, then it's far better to not attempt to make changes.

No items found, could that be the possible culprit?

Edit: nevermind I found it and it was set to 1

Edit: I am trying to set it to 0 to see if I still get the blue screen crash, I will update this evening with my results

Have found this info after a search for similar problems. I can't test this, so you need to be familiar with 'regedit' to use this mod. Probably best to say to back up your registry first, so you can go back if required. You need to search for the key called 'screensaveactive', (edit, find, find what,) When the search finds the key, you should see a value of 0, and you need to change it to 1. If you are NOT TOTALLY CONFIDENT with registry work, then it's far better to not attempt to make changes.

I am actually signing up to thank you for this answer. I recently got a new computer from IBUYPOWER and was bluescreening apon 20 minutes of inactivity, even after shutting the screensaver off. I found the value was still set at 1 and after turning it to 0, I now no longer bluescreen and everything is working as it should have. Thank you very much for your help!

'Liny' >> No trouble. It probably happened because when the screensaver activated after 20mins, it tried to use a mode or feature that your graphics card cannot support. So it goes to BSOD. Also there are many more 'themepacks' to download now, and a screensaver may be a part of them, and could cause the same problem.

Problem is that I never downloaded any extra screensavers, and that I have an Nvidia 465GTX. Doesn't matter now really I suppose.

Back