After doing Quake, Nightdive Studios wants to remaster Unreal, but the ball is in Epic's...

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: Nightdive Studios remains committed to its ongoing mission of remastering classic first-person shooters, showing no signs of slowing down. While the company has successfully revitalized iconic franchises such as Doom, Quake, and System Shock, there's one notable title they haven't tackled yet: Unreal (despite the desires of certain industry figures).

Nightdive CEO Stephen Kick has expressed his interest in remastering the original Unreal. Although there is no current confirmation of such a project being in progress, fans who are eager to see an enhanced version of the 1998 classic should make their wishes known to Epic Games.

Kick's remarks came in response to Epic Games alum Cliff Bleszinski, who praised Nightdive's recent efforts with Quake II and inquired about the possibility of a similar treatment for Unreal. Bleszinski also shared that he had requested an Unreal remake in his farewell speech while at Epic.

Tagging Epic CEO Tim Sweeney, Nightdive's boss conveyed that his company would be honored to collaborate with Epic on remastering Unreal. However, there has been no official response from Epic thus far.

The first game in the Unreal series was a technically innovative title for its time, setting the groundwork for the original Unreal engine, whose successors fuel a considerable number of today's most beloved games. Critics continue to commend it as a meticulously crafted single-player FPS.

Unfortunately, Epic has shown limited attention to the franchise that played a significant role in establishing the company's reputation. No fresh Unreal titles have emerged since Unreal Tournament 3 in 2007, and Epic terminated development on a reboot in 2018. Furthermore, the company recently removed the entire series from digital storefronts.

Similar to the new versions of Quake, Quake II, and Rise of the Triad, a remastered version of Unreal by Nightdive would likely incorporate numerous quality-of-life improvements, enhance the graphics, and potentially integrate content that was originally left unused. It is also probable that the studio would extend the game's availability to consoles for the first time.

While Epic has not revealed any intentions to revisit Unreal or permit external parties to work on it, Kick confirmed that Nightdive is actively engaged in developing two undisclosed projects. The only hint regarding their nature is that Trespasser – the Jurassic Park FPS that ambitiously attempted feats beyond the capabilities of technology in the late 1990s – is not among them.

Permalink to story.

Um @Nightdive... Quake 4 please! Unreal would be cool, but you're not done with the Quake series yet.

UT would be the obvious choice but then epic couldn't make constant revenue like Fortnite does for them. There's a full generation of gamers that have never played UT99 😭.

I loved Unreal Tournament when it came out but it would need upgrading with better graphics, better AI movement and just better AI to make me want to part with money. I'd also like to see more levels to play with preferably a level designer so players can add more going forwards. A new single play mode would be interesting as this would give more "playability" to the game. If it was just higher res graphics then I wouldn't be interested.

A shame Epic is not interested in anything other than fortnite and UEngine anymore. The Unreal games always had a great community of players and modders and the games were great fun too.

A pity they pulled the cord from UT4 killing any hope of revival for series.

Last edited:
A shame Epic is not interested in anything other than fortnite and UEngine anymore. The Unreal games always had a great community of players and modders and the games were great. And the games were great fun too.

A pity they pulled the cord from UT4 killing any hope of revival for series.

I've noticed the youngsters have abandoned Fortnite lately. Even Epic will have to move on..

I've noticed the youngsters have abandoned Fortnite lately. Even Epic will have to move on..
They are attempting to make it like Roblox with their new map editor. Unfortunately Fortnite isn't going anywhere. Unlike Roblox Fornite scales from lite mobile to the latest Unreal engine 5.2 graphics that scales to ultra enthusiast so they are covering anything in between.

Would gladly welcome a remake of Unreal 1 in UE5, they have to keep the music which is mandatory for the atmosphere vibe. (was listening the music before searching if any remaster/remake was known online)

Back