After installing windows - best way to get drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nork

Before i do a windows install i use everest and find the info i need to get drivers.
After i do a windows install i go to dev mgr to see what drivers i am missing and go hunt them down, often at the mobo mfgr website of course. And often i have to get the drivers for pci and pci-e cards that arent built into the mobo.
But i am wondering if there is an easier way to do this. I see people offering to do a windows install and get all the drivers for $30 and i wonder how they can do all that for only $30. There must be a quicker way?
Is it by using one of those driver programs?
Thanks in advance as i know there will be some good replies!

I

Darn, i forgot about that. I have one that has, i think, 50,000 drivers on it. So i guess i had better start looking for the 75,000 one, lol. Any idea where to get it?

Thanks!

Yes it is. But what if you are installing Windows on a PC with no internet connectivity (common here in our country) you must have a Driver CD collection.

In my first post i stated that the best way is to go to the mobo mfgr website to get the necessary drivers.
But that doesnt help with drivers for pci, agp, and pci-e cards. The only way that i know of and what has worked for me in the past is to find the chipset on the card and google it.

Not only that but i have had some friends come to me wanting xp pro put on their vista machine. HP has no xp pro drivers for their vista machines. I have had to go hunting for drivers for these. The HP forums have been helpful and so has google.
I have had pretty good success finding drivers but it takes a lot of time. Thats the reason for my thread. I am looking at reducing the amount of time spent looking for drivers.
The 70,000 driver cd is a good help. I have dloaded that, thanks to WinXPert.
I also use driveguide.com, they are very helpful but they only give me something like 3 drivers per week for the free version, after that they want me to buy a subscription.

Does that about wrap it up or are there any other ways to get drivers or find out which drivers are needed?

What about these driver programs i see around? Are they any good? Might they be of some use on new installs?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back