After months of supply issues, Google highlights Nexus 4, Google Now in Grammys commercial

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google’s first primetime commercial for the Nexus 4 was largely overshadowed by another key service from the search giant. The spot aired during the Grammy Awards on Sunday evening and had a clear emphasis on Google Now, the company’s real-time information service designed to compete with Apple’s Siri voice assistant.

The extended version of the ad shows a number of scenarios where using Google Now would be beneficial in all parts of the world: a mother checking the weather forecast, a couple finding a restaurant to eat at, two ladies getting help with language translation and a father chatting with his child via video call.

The Nexus 4 first became available in a number of markets in mid-November 2012. Inside is a quad-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 processor, 2GB of RAM, NFC support, wireless charging capabilities and either 8GB or 16GB of internal storage. It ships with a 4.7-inch IPS display operating at 1,280 x 768 and runs Android 4.1 Jelly Bean right out of the box but perhaps the best thing the Nexus 4 has going for it is the asking price.

The smaller capacity handset can be had for just $299 while the 16GB variant can be yours for $349. Keep in mind that these prices are direct through Google Play meaning it’s not anchored with a typical two year service agreement.

As of writing, the handsets are on backorder and aren’t expected to ship for another week or two through Google Play.

Permalink to story.

Thinking of getting one. Yesterday, the 8GB has 1-2 weeks ship, while the 16GB had 3-4 weeks. The 8GB is barely enough these days and with no expansion slot..

However, today they are both 3-4 weeks. If I'm spending $400 on a phone I want it within a week.

I ordered my Nexus 4 (16GB) this weekend, and it's scheduled to arrive this week. Already been shipped by UPS.

I would have no problem selling my SIII for this one, however, no SD slot and no LTE are major dealbreakers for me.

I am running the CM 10.1 nightlies on my SIII, so I'm not exactly missing the 4.2 goodies. I just prefer the form factor of the Nexus and overall niceness of it. I guess I'll wait for the next Nexus; I hope Sony makes it... Either them or HTC again.

Back