After re-connecting HDD, reset to RAW from NTFS. Fix Needed.

By H3llion
May 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. So recently my machine has been in my backpack travelling with me due few reasons. When I came home today and mounted it all up again, one of my HDDs became RAW system and I am unable to access it. Now Windows keeps insisting that I should format the drive but I really need to preserve most of the saved data.

Iv downloaded TestDisk but have no idea how to use it.

Is there a way to at least recover my files? I really need to get another backup drive to have my important work saved on.

Using Windows 7 x64 Pro.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 949   +97

Shall I let Windows format the drive? Would this make me loose all my data?
  3. stonarda

stonarda TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 180   +17

Im not too sure about recovery, but DONT format it, otherwise teh data can be lost forever! Try finding a free recovery program on the internet :)
  4. H3llion

Right now rebuilding the boot sector with TestDisk, let see what this does. No idea which data recovery program would be good, whether free or premium.
  5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

I've had really good results with Runtime Software's GetDataBack program. It's somewhat pricey, but I've seen better results with it than a lot of other software.
  6. H3llion

Thanks, I have GetDataBack (from work) but my HDD seems to have broken boot sector and it seems that I need to rebuild it which I have no idea how (so many tutorials out there, but which one to follow :/ )
  7. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.