After reformat & install of xp home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pc was fine apart from a few drivers missing it booted up i connected to the internet it was working ok. The main problem now is this morning the pc will not boot up its saying ntldr kernel missing! i have these files on the xp home cd but your supposed to copy them to the root directory, how do i do this?
Any help please kerie

In the three new threads you have had in the last three days on Windows issues

----------------

1. its is asking for a repair set up disk
I posted, (and no reply was given!):
You can run Check Disk from using a free boot disc as well
Have a look here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post694184-132.html

------------------------

2. How do I wipe my drive
I posted, (and no reply was given!):
Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

* Warning deleting the Partition will remove all User data and Windows system files

-----------------------

3. ntldr kernel missing! (Oh that's this one ! ) :rolleyes:

---------------------

I'm not giving a reply !
Until you make sense of this :confused:

Edit:

Just do number 2 above again
Seeyu tomorrow

sorry Kimsland your help has been brilliant, especially the link you sent me,

I did try to send you a private message on your first reply, but it told me i had to have 45 posts b4 i could pm...sorry i didnt mean to seem un grateful... Are you telling me to reinstall the os again? cant i just fix the ntldr from safe mode?

No

The NTLDR corruption on a clean install (?) really means that you may have other issues

Possibly:
  • Faulty Ram
  • Faulty Hard Drive
  • Faulty Bios
  • other
Please run Memtest on your Ram
Please run a Drive Diagnostics on your HardDrive

Regarding: Faulty Bios
In most cases it is just a matter of resetting Bios settings to defaults
To do this, select the key on your keyboard that is shown on first bootup of your computer
This "key" is usually DEL or F2 or similar (you will need to watch out for the Bios enter message)
Once in Bios Setup, locate "Set Defaults" (this wording can be slightly different on each system)
Select defaults, then Save and Exit Bios settings page

Note: You may still need to do another clean install on your system

re : Ntldr

i cant now get the pc to boot up because it says ntldr kernel missing... i have got a problem with some drivers out of date could this have caused the problem? nvidia geforce with out of date driver, sound was not working either! should i reformat again & just do a fresh install?

Yes, could you ;)

The NTLDR fault is not caused by old drivers either
It is, as described above, I would start with the resetting to Bios Setup Defaults

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back