After restoring Window XP image, 'lost' Windows 7 (dual boot)

dannyodare

Hi there,

For quite some time, I've had a dual-boot setup - with Windows XP 32-bit as my 'default' O/S (on Drive C) and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on Drive D. And both are on the same HDD.

Anyway, a few days - after a few problems - I loaded-up a back-up version of XP from an image file using Drive Snapshot v.1.40. No problems, except I could no longer boot-up into 7 (the menu/option disappeared).

Unperturbed, I booted-up from my Windows 7 DVD disk and did a start-up repair/fix. However, I still couldn't boot into 7. Naturally, I fired up Easy BCD (v.2.1.2, non-commercial) and had a look. Oddly, or maybe not oddly, 7 was listed but XP was not. I added XP as an entry - but still the same situation. Then I reset the BCD configuration and manually added XP and 7 to the boot menu. After looking at this, under MBR Configure Options, I selected 'Install the Windows Vista/7' bootloader to the MBR' - but still no luck.

NOTE: tried iReboot, selected Windows 7 (yes, it was listed!), but got the same result - back to XP upon boot up. Some additional info if it helps. I have a \boot\BCD folder on the XP partition, but I do not have a \bootmgr file - *only, a 'boot.ini' file. Perhaps oddly, on the F partition/drive, where I have no O/S - which is on a separate HDD - *I have a \boot folder, a 'bootmgr' file and a 'bootini' file. On my Windows 7 partition, however, I have nothing: that is, no boot folder, 'bootmgr' file or 'boot.ini' file. Changing the BIOS boot order in order to boot from the F HDD makes no difference nor nor does physically disconnecting it and then doing another EasyBCD 'repair'/'installing the Windows Vista/7 bootloader to the MBR (onto partition D,).

Any idea as to what I should do next?

Thanks,
DANNY

"Any idea as to what I should do next?"...

Yes, delete all partitions and start from scratch... or just drop XP and go with Windows 7 only

Yeah. When you load XP after 7, the boot manager is taken over by XP's OLD boot file.. And it does not recognize Windows 7 installations.. The only way it works is to install XP First then 7 second.

Windows 7 will install the new boot manager that is updated and recognizes previous versions of windows, and adds them into the bootable list.

Something you can TRY (Though I'm not sure if will work) Put in the Windows 7 installation disc, see if it notices that there is a Windows 7 installation, and do a Repair Install. If not, you will have to reinstall 7 again completely.

Back