After the 8 step process for malware etc. - Some Symptoms / Is my system fine now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runite

Hello There,

I have followed the 8 step procedure and I would like your help in checking whether or not my system is fully clean now. I have attached the Superanti-spyware, Malwarebytes' Anti-malware and the Hi-JackThis logs.

After doing the 8 step process my PC seems faster then before.

I know that some virus / spyware etc. has removed some kind of windows file because when I load up the PC, after Windows XP has started after you logged onto your Windows XP account before the information, shortcuts etc. on the desktop appear or the bar at the bottom giving you options to start different programs (the one with the "start" button on) I get two windows that say this:

1st Window:

It is titled: C:'\WINDOWS\is-S4L07.exe'

And It says in the right of the window: "Windows cannot find 'C\WINDOWS\is-S4L07.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file. click the start button, and then search."

2nd Window:

It is titled: C:'\WINDOWS\is-7HH4F.exe'

And It says in the right of the window: "Windows cannot find 'C\WINDOWS\is-7HH4F.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file. click the start button, and then search."

Also, when i open system restore, some of the restore poitns i manually created and those that were automatically created don't seem to be there anymore, except the most recent one (August 7th, 2009), I didn't manually delete these created restore points myself so why is this? How do I stop this from happening in the future?

Also recently, for like 1 week, the PC shuts down randomly, seemingly when I use software that consumes quite a bit of CPU like games and doing processes like conversions or burning discs at the same time as each other. However, it is only the monitor that shuts off, it goes blank with a red light to indicate that its off but the PC is switched on still as I can hear the fan. The only way to get my monitor back on is to restart my PC system altogether. I'm not sure if it is a hardware fault as my fans seem to be working or some kind of malware (I had 260 deleted in the recent scan). Hopefully this should go away after my cleaning process.

Before the 8 step process I was using:
Anti Spyware: - Lavasoft Ad - Aware
Anti Virus: - AVG 8 Free Version
Firewall: - Generic Windows XP firewall
Spybot - Search & Destroy

Now I am using:

Anti Spyware:
- Lavasoft Ad - Aware
- SUPERanti-spyware

Anti Virus:
- AVG 8

Anti Malware:
- Malwarebytes' Anti-malware

Firewall:
- COMODO Firewall
- Generic Windows XP Firewall

- Spybot: Search & Destroy

Should I have any other programs to ensure my computer's safety or is this enough?

Thanks for reading & helping!

Reset your router if you have one. Turn off System Restore by going to Control Panel, System, Advanced and uncheck any checked boxes unter System Restore. Rerun the scans after you restart the computer. If the scans are clean, turn on System Restore again

I have click on control panel --> systems --> system restore tab (There is no system restore options under advanced tab) and I found the box already unchecked. It was labelled: "Turn off system restore in all drives". You said I had to turn off system restore, does this mean check it? Otherwise following your instructions the box is already unticked and so i'm not sure what to do.

(There is no system restore options under advanced tab).

You can also 'right-click' the My Computer icon under the "Start Menu" under properties, select "System Restore" tab. If box is checked, System resore is inactive, if it's unchecked(like picture attached) it's active. Tmagic is saying to disable so you need to have a check there. The part that says "Turn off system restore in all drives" probably means you have more than one HDD?

Yes turn off SR on all drives just temporarily, and just pick 1 drive to have SR on after the system scans are clean

You can also 'right-click' the My Computer icon under the "Start Menu" under properties, select "System Restore" tab. If box is checked, System resore is inactive, if it's unchecked(like picture attached) it's active. Tmagic is saying to disable so you need to have a check there. The part that says "Turn off system restore in all drives" probably means you have more than one HDD?

I'm using Windows 7 and the system organization is much different from XP... I'm using my memory :)

Ok...
1. I've press Turn off system restore on all HDDs
2. I've restarted
3. Now i'm running the malware, anti-spyware and HiJackThis Scans. Come back in like 3-4 hours, I'll probably have some new logs posted of the recent scans then.

New Logs

Ok, I've done the scans and I have the new logs.

I have Quarantined:
- 0 Malware
- 2 Spyware

I have 2 spyware programs so I decided not to switch back on system restore.

What should I do now?

Also what were the reasons for switching off the system restore.

Thanks!

How many hard drives do you have? You turn off System Restore to delete possibly "infected" Restore Points. When a compter gets infected, and you turn off or restart your computer, the infection is saved and then restored... You don't want this to happen, do you?

How is your system running now?

At the moment, my system is running fine. Well crispier then before and my PC no longer seems to shut down, cleaning out the fans to make sure of it.

What protection programs should I run?

I have 2 HDDs

"What protection programs should I run?"...

Everyone has their favorites:
1. Your favorite antivirus program (free Avast, Advir)
2. Free Malwarebytes
3. Free CCleaner

Also theres a new installation program called "Sonic Simple Backup" that keeps popping up and trying to install asking me for a disc which I haven't got. It even pops up after I close it using the task manager. Any way to get rid of it?

"Sonic Simple Backup" is a backup utility. Did it ship as part of a software bundle with your PC?
Have you tried to uninstall it? If that doesn't work, you may have to disable the startup in your 'msconfig' utility under 'run'

I have tried MSCONFIG, but i'm not sure what process to turn off, as their is no process specially called sonic. It didn't bundle with PC, it just popped up and its been popping up since a few weeks ago. Eventually it stops for like after the boot-up but it takes 4-5 closures with task manager.

You'll have to lok under the startup and services tab, and look for something that has 'sonic' under 'manufacturer' or 'command'.
If uncertain, post back with what you find first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back