Against All Odds: How Nintendo Made It

#1 We held onto the most iconic IP ever

#2 we targeted children with said IP.

#3 We went cheap on our hardware and focused on profit. We almost never support our old, cheap hardware beyond 3-4 years and neither does the 3rd party.

#4 We manufactured demand by purposefully reducing supply. Wii was the original scalper console. Can you even find a Switch?

Last edited:
#4 We manufactured demand by purposefully reducing supply.

That one really boils my blood.

Same for their anti-competitive BS starting with the NES, by blocking developers in releasing games on other consoles.

Or targeting their own fans with BS C&D letters or straight up, stealing their work.

Nah man, F.. Nintendo. Last time I gave them a penny was on the N64 days.

That one really boils my blood.

Same for their anti-competitive BS starting with the NES, by blocking developers in releasing games on other consoles.

Or targeting their own fans with BS C&D letters or straight up, stealing their work.

Nah man, F.. Nintendo. Last time I gave them a penny was on the N64 days.
Well, thanks to Sony and Microsoft, it looks like Nintendo is going the way of Sega. They'll have games but won't be a platformer any more.

It's a shame that Sega was so badly managed in the end with the Saturn and Dreamcast because the Genesis was WAY better than the SNES.

Well, thanks to Sony and Microsoft, it looks like Nintendo is going the way of Sega. They'll have games but won't be a platformer any more.

It's a shame that Sega was so badly managed in the end with the Saturn and Dreamcast because the Genesis was WAY better than the SNES.

I still miss the amazing Dreamcast.

Unpopular opinion, but I also loved the Atari Jaguar.

I have mixed feelings about Nintendo. While I became an unequivocal PC gamer, Nintendo was my first game system. While I don't appreciate their walled garden approach to things, I do like that they seemed (at least) less avaricious when it came to console exclusives in that they didn't set out to find IPs to buy out and make proprietary to their consoles, like Microsoft did for many years with Halo. Their record on Let's Plays and use of their copyrighted footage has also been less than sterling. It's probably for the best that they stay the relative underdog, because I can easily see them being as horrible a company as Disney if they ever got on top.

Back