Agere USB soft modem issues?

Lusiphur220

I'm not entirely sure what is going on as I'm doing this fix via phone. I have a laptop that doesn't have an eithernet port (appears to be almost a dinosaur), and the person using it is trying to use Agere Systems usb 2.0 soft modem (modem that connects ethernet cable to computer via USB port).

The computer is running Windows XP SP3, and no matter what is installed/uninstalled/adjusted it won't allow an internet connection.

Any ideas? I've tried driver updates, install/uninstall via device manager & unistall manager. I'm not sure of what else I can do to fix it.

Are all USB ports affected? If so, do the USB ports work with a flash drive. If they do the USB modem may be bad. If they don't, it could be an XP problem

I don't know if I'm off base here, but if Lusiphur220 stated that the computer is a dinosaur, and doesn't have a RJ-45 port or Ethernet port, than I suspect there might be something up with the computer rejecting the USB 2.0 Soft Modem, for I think the computer just may be running with USB 1.0 ports. Maybe the soft modem required a 2.0 port and will not work on a USB 1.0 port, maybe something to do with power issues. Maybe 1.0 can't supply enough juice to the soft modem, where as a 2.0 could.

"Just thinking out loud, I might be wrong here, but just thinking out loud all the same"!

All USB 2.0 are downward compatible with USB 1.1

All USB slots on the PC deliver 500ma each.

Imo, the system needs the OEM Softmodem drivers to be reinstalled.

Back