Aging PSU or genuinely dead case fans?

Timonius

Hello, I'm just wondering if it is possible for a PSU to stop delivering power to case fans due to aging/dying or would my case fans really be dead and in need of replacement.

How old is the power supply? Also, how many case fans do you have? It seems unlikely that the power supply would stop sending power to the case fans only. If everything else is working the way it should, perhaps your case fans are dead.

Everything's about 2 years old. 4 case fans. I was just curious if it was likely that a psu would selectively stop powering certain components. After close inspection it is only one case fan dead and another sounds like it's on its way. Thanks for the input :)

A PSU cannot selectively stop powering specific components. A PSU can lose voltage on specific rails of which everything within that rail will stop functioning.

How are the case fans drawing power, are they connected directly to the PSU or are they drawing power through the motherboard?

No worries man, Glad you found the problem. Just replace those faulty fans and you should be all good to go. :)

It's a conspiracy by the Cooling Fan Coalition to make sure only cheap unreliable fans are sold in computer stores. Trust me, I've looked. To get a decent, reliable, long-lasting fan I recommend looking at Delta, which makes every type and speed you could imagine, notably 120mm x 38mm monsters that blow 240 cfm at 6000 rpm and 68 dB! If that sounds like overkill, they make them right on down to 90 cfm, 3000 rpm, 44 dB. All would require a powerful fan controller for sanity retention (the shop-vac roar gets on your nerves after a while). I've got a 92mm Delta that draws 2.5 amps! (times 12v = 30 watts). And they're expensive, 20 to 40 bucks each. But one of them will cool better than a fistful of wimpy L.E.D fans and last for years ( that 92mm model is still strong after 7 years). Here's one site that has a good selection http://www.aerocooler.com/index.php?uid=ddda7hse50n9kh4n8649tkffn3

Back