AGP Graphics Card Not Detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a friend send me an agp video card. I followed the installation instructions that came with it but when I plugged the monitor into the new card there is no video detected.

I am not very smart with computers as far as tech stuff goes, so I had a couple friends of mine who know a lot more than I do try and help. They really couldn't figure out the problem either. They're not looking at it I guess, so kind of hard to figure out the issue.

I'll give information on my computer, motherboard type as well as graphics card type below.

It is an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
2.20 GHz, 960 MB of RAM
Running windows XP home edition service pack 3.
The graphics card is a Radeon HD 2400 Pro
The motherboard is K8V-MX/S

I'm not sure what else to put as far as computer information. I tried a few different things like disabling the display adaptor in device manager and when looking in BIOS it was set to AGP for primary graphics display or whatever.

If it ends up that it is the card itself can anyone tell me what kind of graphics cards would be compatible with my computer so I can go and purchase one? I want to be able to play games. Thankyou.
Anyway, if someone could help me I would really appreciate it. Thankyou!

I'm a little unclear on what you did. Are you saying you plugged in the monitor to the Radeon HD 2400 while the PC was still running? If I've misunderstood that, then when you boot up the PC, you are seeing the motherboard splash screen and can get into the BIOS? If so, then it just won't boot into Windows? Could you clarify?

I plugged the monitor into the radeon hd after shutting the computer down and it had been installed. Then when I turn the computer on there is no video input detected. It doesn't go to a splash screen, bios or anything. Just a black screen. Video only works if I plug the monitor back into the old spot.

There is a difference between the kv8-mx and the kv8-mx/S

Yea, as you note there is a difference and after looking around online it's a problem for many people. And there is no support for that board on the ASUS site (apparently it's intended for system builders so i guess ASUS figures "let them worry about it")

For the "what it's worth department" i did find info on the bios for that board and as well as a manual (well, supposedly, tho i can't know for sure just looking what's online). The manual does describe video bio options and board specifics. But you have to look for yourself to verify if your board and manual (and other stuff) actually match up. look here

Don't take this the wrong way but just in case make sure the card is pushed all the way firmly into the slot. It probably is but, well...just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back