AHCI on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessa_jr

Hi guys,

How can I run ahci on windows xp. I installed it on ata mode and I cant find the driver to make it work. I hope somebody can put me on the right directions. My laptop is dell latitude d630.

Thanks,

The short answer: You probably don't want to.

Your hard drive (most likely) doesn't support NCQ and a laptop hard drive will make no use of the bump to 300MB/sec from 150MB/sec. These are the only benefits to AHCI and if anything, it'll probably run slower (although the difference will be so little you'll never personally notice).

If you insist though, here's the answer (Links provided are for Windows XP 32-bit):
  • Install the latest Intel chipset drivers for your laptop. Your Dell has a GM965 chipset.
  • Install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver (This is what actually provides AHCI support)
  • Reboot your computer and make sure everything is working
  • Reboot again and enable AHCI in your BIOS.
    • Press F1 when you first start your computer (Dell logo screen)
    • It should take you to the BIOS config.
    • Scroll down to SATA Operation
    • Change it from IDE/ATA to AHCI
    • Save the changes and exit your BIOS
    • Restart and you should be able to boot into Windows with your new AHCI-enabled driver

Enjoy. :)

error

I already installed (Intel Matrix Storage Manager) this before and today but I encounter this error. I use xp 32 bit and 64 bit but same results

This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software. Setup will exit.

Tmagic may be right. Many Dells around that time period did not support AHCI through the BIOS. If you don't see the option in the BIOS, then it is not possible.

TMagic650 and Rick are once more correct. Attempting to install AHCI is a waste of time, (perhaps a negative), as the Dell d630 does not have the hardware for it... and your SATA hard drive probably isn't built for it... I haven't run across a Dell laptop that is ready for it... but they run fine without it...

Thanks

I already make it work. Here's what I did courtesy of Insanelymac.com forum

1. download R154200.exe(drivers) and R154198.exe(intel matrix storage manager) from Dell Support Site (support.dell.com - under SATA)
2. download the attachment.
3. run R154200.exe and unzip the rar file you downloaded from step 2. you should create 2
directories with the names like R154200 and ATA2AHCI
4. go to ATA2AHCI directory and right mouse click on ahciraid.inf and select install from the menu.
5. go to R154200 directory and right mouse click on both iaahci.inf and iastor.inf and select
install from the menu.

NOTE: someone said step 4 is enough, but I did both step 4 & 5 and it worked.

6. reboot your system. press F2 at startup screen to go inside bios. change SATA operation
from ATA to AHCI. change Flash Cache Module from Off to Enable.
7. save and exit bios. now xp should boot normally.
8. in xp, run R154198.exe.
9. after reboot, you should see Intel 82801 HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller is installed
under device manager / IDE ATA/ATAPI controller. DONE!

Attachments

• ATA2AHCI.zip
    166.3 KB · Views: 354
as the Dell d630 does not have the hardware for it...
The D630 does have the hardware for it, although in the past Dell has not allowed AHCI to be enabled through the BIOS on some computers.

Glad you got it figured out, jessa_jr. And thanks for sharing the exact instructions.

The D630 does have the hardware for it, although in the past Dell has not allowed AHCI to be enabled through the BIOS on some computers.
At one point Intel claimed that ACHI could not be run on XP, and their BIOS would not permit the attempt. This from my experience with a G965WHMK media board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back