Airbus' Pop.Up concept may be the best "flying car"' proposal to date

Shawn Knight

Staff member

One of the biggest obstacles keeping flying cars grounded isn’t necessarily figuring out how to make a vehicle capable of flight (hello, helicopters) but rather, designing something that can both fly and drive on the streets.

The flexibility of being able to do both is incredibly appealing but physical limitations on both sides of the spectrum impact the ability to efficiently accomplish the other task.

That’s where Airbus’ latest concept changes things up.

The Pop.Up concept, unveiled at the Geneva International Motor Show, is centered on the idea of a multi-purpose modular pod. Here’s how it’d work.

When summoned, a pod-like vehicle would arrive to pick you up and drive you to a nearby flight station. Once there, the "capsule" would detach from the car base and attach to a quad-copter that would then fly to the air station nearest your destination.

Upon arrival, the flight mechanism would detach and the pod – with you inside – would reattach to a different car base and you’d be autonomously driven to your destination. The capsule could even work in conjunction with a Hyperloop tube.

It is kind of like Uber’s flying car idea except that everything is included (you don’t have to exit the flying pod and jump in and out of a traditional vehicle).

An Airbus spokesperson told CNET that we could see trials of the technology within 10 years or so although battery technology remains the biggest hurdle… well, that, and getting cities on board with the idea of investing in the tech.

Permalink to story.

Dare I repeat myself again ..... unless the laws change drasticly, the operator will need both a drivers license and a pilot's license to operate such a device. It's not easy, not cheap, and just wait until the first one falls out of the sky .... of course all the lawyers are going to be 100% behind the idea .......

Dare I repeat myself again ..... unless the laws change drasticly, the operator will need both a drivers license and a pilot's license to operate such a device. It's not easy, not cheap, and just wait until the first one falls out of the sky .... of course all the lawyers are going to be 100% behind the idea .......

not if they're pay-by-the-ride and self driving. :)

and they don't have to be perfectly safe - just as safe as a car is today.

If you had a Urban Flying Vehicle why would you need wheels to drive it on the ROAD ffs wouldn't it be simpler to fly somewhere than to drive ,,lol

If you had a Urban Flying Vehicle why would you need wheels to drive it on the ROAD ffs wouldn't it be simpler to fly somewhere than to drive ,,lol
They already have air "lanes" that are places where flight is permitted. It might be faster to take an air lane to a flight station than it is to drive the whole way there. Energy consumption and battery power are key factors here and what already seems like an expensive business. I'm sure efficiency is at the top of airbusses' list.

Well, if cars became airworthy, and the qualifications for a pilots license were reduced so that most people could get a license, then you'd have every imbecile on the planet, flying while under the influence, texting and talking on the phone while driving, and have fun dealing with that....LOL

Besides, just picture the numbers of cars on the streets being in the air at any given rush hour of today.... it boggles my mind. YMMV.

CEOs and corporations know that millennial yuppies are desperate to hear "tales of the future". In fact, you suck them up that same way my generation devoured sci-fi comic books.

So, that's what Musk and the rest give you with their press conferences, comic book tales of the future. Because quite frankly, the present sucks big time, and it's only going to get worse from here.

Last edited:
Interesting!

They could also add rail cars that these things can dock into so the flying part can bring them from nearby and slap them on rail to take them to another part of the city or something.

Elon Musk has said flying cars are not a good idea. Not scalable, too loud, too expensive, too dangerous.

Elon Musk has said flying cars are not a good idea. Not scalable, too loud, too expensive, too dangerous.
So would a nuclear attack on the polar caps of Mars be too expensive, too loud, too dangerous, but most of all, too damned stupid. But did that stop Musk from suggesting it? Hell no!:eek:

Back