Al Gore exercises stock options, buys 59,000 Apple shares for $440k

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It has been revealed in an U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing that prominent Apple board member Al Gore recently purchased 59,000 shares of Apple stock. Normally such activity wouldn’t be particularly newsworthy but in Gore’s case, he was able to do so at a price of just $7.48 per share – netting a substantial profit in the process.

Gore was able to secure the stock at such a low price by exercising his director stock option. Despite the fact that Apple stock value has recently been on a downward path, it’s still a major haul for the board member. As of writing, Gore’s 59,000 shares are worth a cool $29.5 million – not bad considering he paid just over $440,000 for the opportunity.

TNW points out that Gore was awarded 30,000 options when he joined Apple’s board in 2003. At the time, stock in Cupertino was valued at just $14.95 per share. The former vice president purchased 60,000 shares in the company at the same price back in 2008 when shares were valued at around $124 each.

It’s worth noting that he still has 61,574 share options available under heavy discount following the latest transaction, ensuring he will remain extremely wealthy for the foreseeable future.

Apple is expected to report first-quarter earnings later this week. The company forecast $52 billion in revenue and earnings of $11.75 per share but analysts predict those figures to be a bit higher at $54.69 billion and earnings of $13.41 per share.

Permalink to story.

Curious timing, Apple stock is down, and If he thought their price was going to back up he'd have waited to buy risk-free. This means the news tomorrow will probably tell us that Al Gore sold all his Apple stock, and is sure doesn't look good when a board member cashes in his options and sells. That'll make the price go down some more.

@MilwaukeeMike

not sure if your comments doom and gloom comments about anything apple is jealously or hatred. Either or, doesn't matter, apple will continue to be successful no matter what you feel. The stock, I feel, will rebound back to above $700 by year end then on to $900+ in 2014 after a few new market leading/changing releases.

. The stock, I feel, will rebound back to above $700 by year end then on to $900+ in 2014 after a few new market leading/changing releases.
And this will be after they pry these, "market changing/leading releases", out of Steve Jobs cold, dead hands?:p

@MilwaukeeMike

not sure if your comments doom and gloom comments about anything apple is jealously or hatred. Either or, doesn't matter, apple will continue to be successful no matter what you feel. The stock, I feel, will rebound back to above $700 by year end then on to $900+ in 2014 after a few new market leading/changing releases.
I would believe in an uptrend for Apple once they develop holograms or paper thin laptops. Oh wait, they have no R&D... time to buy IBM or MIT.

@captaincranky,

jobs was just a boss, nothing more. before his passing he had multiple visions of what to create. One idea in particular would be the upcoming TV. TV's traditionally have been a small mark up/huge turn over industry. Imagine a TV coming to market that was as thin as an Ipad, had the same clarity as a retina display ipad, had voice control, apple tv built in, built in Facetime (kicks the crap out of all other video chats) and could seemly connect to all your media devices? how many wives would rather a tv that hung like a picture on wall rather than a box in the middle of the floor? The good news is 2 fold. Even though apple will come out with it first, other brands will follow suit like they always have and eventually prices will go down. But the price of the apple version will drive their shares right back up past what they are now.

...[ ]....jobs was just a boss, nothing more. before his passing he had multiple visions of what to create.
Thank God you weren't called upon to write his eulogy. I, on the other hand, wish you were.

BTW, TV, internet TV, Hulu, Youtube, and Net Flix have all been invented already. So, whatever Apple does or doesn't achieve with "Apple TV", I pray to God they get their brains sued out over it.....

Imagine a TV coming to market that was as thin as an Ipad, had the same clarity as a retina display ipad, had voice control, apple tv built in, built in Facetime (kicks the crap out of all other video chats) and could seemly connect to all your media devices?
This proves beyond a doubt that you, as an Apple fanhole kow virtually nothing about video. First, the VGA in an iPhone doesn't have the power to light up 300DPI, and I'm taking a wild guess and saying they're dithering the actual resolution across several pixels. At the 3 paces distance from the living room TV set, you can barely distinguish the less than 72 DPI it has, and the smaller you make the pixels the worse the viewing angle becomes. And again, you'd be dithering the signal over several pixels in the display. Because, I'm certain the broadcast standards aren't getting changed just to humor you.
how many wives would rather a tv that hung like a picture on wall rather than a box in the middle of the floor? The good news is 2 fold. Even though apple will come out with it first, other brands will follow suit like they always have and eventually prices will go down. But the price of the apple version will drive their shares right back up past what they are now.
Listen, you can walk into Best But and carry one of them thar skinny TVs out tomorrow. At least if you're not in your room smacking off to an Apple product catalog, that is..
I will give credit for revamping an old internet product, "the iTroll".

You are confusing Apple TV with their upcoming Apple Branded TV sets.
Look, I'm an old man, and I do things that others don't see as being sensible. I have 1meg DSL, because I get it for 17.95 a month. I go to RedBox, and rent DVDs for $1.20 a night.

I don't need Apple's help with my TV viewing, , I don't need the Pirate Bay to help me with ISo files.

So, all the s*** you think you need, or Apple is going to "innovate", I can thankfully, quite well live without.

I've never bought so much as an iTune, and I almost certainly never will. Save your energy and enthusiasm for people sitting on a fence about Apple. With me, you're just banging your head against a wall.

And I'll run this by you one more time, whatever Apple does in the TV arena, I hope they get sued for it. As near as I can tell, "Apple TV" is just another hazing, and an attempt to bully their way into someone else's wheelhouse.

"Apple TV", "Google TV", turn it upside down it all looks alike.

@captaincranky,

"I don't need Apple's help with my TV viewing"

You said you have a TV set, who ever the manufacturer is, they are indeed "helping" you watch the content.

"I don't need the Pirate Bay to help me with ISo files."

Cool, neither do most, what does that have to do with the TV's?

"So, all the s*** you think you need, or Apple is going to "innovate", I can thankfully, quite well live without"

If you are indeed old like you say, how come you swithed to color tv and stick with B&W

"I've never bought so much as an iTune, and I almost certainly never will."

Same here.

"Save your energy and enthusiasm for people sitting on a fence about Apple. With me, you're just banging your head against a wall."

What energy? Why would I bang my head against a wall over whatever you are talking about?

"And I run this by you one more time, whatever Apple does in the TV arena, I hope they get sued for it. As near as I can tell, "Apple TV" is just another hazing, and an attempt to bully their way into someone else's wheelhouse."

Did you hope Sony, Hitachi, LG, Sharp, and all the others got sued by general Electric when they first came into the TV market? If so, why do you care so much? its all good.

"Apple TV", "Google TV", turn it upside down it all looks alike."

I still think you could be confused about the difference of a TV and the software that the TV plays with.

@captaincranky

"This proves beyond a doubt that you, as an Apple fanhole kow virtually nothing about video."

You are right and wrong. not an apple fanboy and yes I know nothing about video

"First, the VGA in an iPhone doesn't have the power to light up 300DPI,"

I think it could be past your bed time, iphone? what?

If you are indeed old like you say, how come you swithed to color tv and stick with B&W
Are you trying to spell "swished", "swathed", or "switched"? Better get with your "iDictionary".
I still think you could be confused about the difference of a TV and the software that the TV plays with.
No, I'm not. You walk over to your B&W TV, turn it on, and then tune it to any of the broadcast channels in your particular viewing ares. These channels are numbered from 2 to 13.

I think it could be past your bed time, iphone? what?
The iPhone carries a "Retina Display". It's resolution is 300DPI. That's its distinguishing feature. All Apple panel technology is IPS. (In plane switching). The reason they call it a "Retina Display", is simply by virtue of the fact that the resolution of the human eye is 300DPI, (or thereabouts). So, the iPhone's display resolution matches that of the human eye. Drawing the conclusion that that matters, is as absurd as are most all of Apple's ad claims.

So, when you say you want a TV with a "Retina Display", it means in essence ,you expect the TV to have a resolution of 300 DPI.

My 40" (diagonal) B&W flat panel LCD tube set, measures 35" horizontally, and about 20" vertically. At the "Retina Display 300DPI resolution, the panel would have an overall resolution of 10,500 X 6000 pixels. If you can't wrap your head around how ridiculous that is, I can't help you

When a TV needs software, I'm patient enough to wait for M$ to write it, and I'm sure they'll call it Windows TV, which will be very reassuring for me, as us old timers hate change.

Now be a good boy, and sit around and wait for the next round of Apple's largesse. Here's somebody else fascinated with shiny objects to keep you company.
51OH2YRhmiL._SS500_.jpg

@captaincranky,

You indeed are a strange fella. In all your infinite knowledge you you failed to see that I do not own an apple product. I am however a lover of tech, and a lover of fresh ideas. When I get older I hope I do not get to be a cranky old guy who fools himself into thinking I am smarter then I actually am.

@captaincranky,

You indeed are a strange fella. In all your infinite knowledge you you failed to see that I do not own an apple product. I am however a lover of tech, and a lover of fresh ideas. When I get older I hope I do not get to be a cranky old guy who fools himself into thinking I am smarter then I actually am.
The term is "deludes" oneself into thinking they're smarter than they are, and indeed you have it mastered.

But no, I haven't gotten mind reading down yet, and certainly not this late past my bedtime.

And you could still sit and contemplate along with the young man above, over the possible acquisition of your first Apple, "masterpiece".

Today's "tech lovers" amuse me. The way they sit around and stare into their crappy little phone screens, when there's a whole wide world to investigate. Texting matters, dude! Don't think for a moment it doesn't..:p

@captaincranky,

"So, when you say you want a TV with a "Retina Display", it means in essence ,you expect the TV to have a resolution of 300 DPI"

You should go read it again. I did not say that. Did you miss that intentionally?

"The term is "deludes" oneself into thinking they're smarter than they are, and indeed you have it mastered."

No, the term I mean to imply is indeed fools. I am also one to admit I am not very smart.

"But no, I haven't gotten mind reading down yet, and certainly not this late past my bedtime.
And you could still sit and contemplate along with the young man above, over the possible acquisition of your first Apple, "masterpiece"."

It wouldn't be my first apple product. I said "I don't own an apple product" which could also mean "I do not own one at the present time".

"Today's "tech lovers" amuse me. The way they sit around and stare into their crappy little phone screens, when there's a whole wide world to investigate. Texting matters, dude! Don't think for a moment it doesn't..:p"

Again, what? lol

Make your last reply a good one after this, since I know you will want the final word so you can feel victorious in an opinion based forum. Want to know a secret though: there is no winners, its all opinion. But go ahead, have the last word.

,jobs was just a boss, nothing more. before his passing he had multiple visions of what to create.
Right, OK. and that's why they started the business in his garage, not one of the corporate parasites / executives who are running the place now. And that's why Apple was going under until he returned. Because he was, "just a boss".
One idea in particular would be the upcoming TV. TV's traditionally have been a small mark up/huge turn over industry. Imagine a TV coming to market that was as thin as an Ipad, had the same clarity as a retina display ipad, had voice control, apple tv built in, built
Actually you did mention "Retina Display", I suppose it was just an oversight on your part you forgot to take the resolution into account.

,You should go read it again. I did not say that. Did you miss that intentionally?
It seems I didn't

,It wouldn't be my first apple product. I said "I don't own an apple product" which could also mean "I do not own one at the present time".
So I'm playing "remedial semantics",with an "iTroll"?

,Make your last reply a good one after this, since I know you will want the final word so you can feel victorious in an opinion based forum. Want to know a secret though: there is no winners, its all opinion. But go ahead, have the last word.
All this philosophical s*** hurts my head. I'm going to power down my computer and see if I can hear my next door neighbor's crack baby screaming. It seems that would be more productive than continuing this conversation with you.

Did that do it for you?

It's actually a pity that this thread is so far "off the rails". The real story is Al Gore's stock purchase, and its bargain price. It gives one pause to wonder if this isn't insider trading done right under everyone's nose. Whether or not there is indeed a "ruling class" in the US, and how responsible backroom corporate dealings are for choosing our "elected officials" in our "democracy".

Al Gore, really can do what he wants with his money. Stock with Apple is high now so what if he owns part of them. Also those where talking about Apple TV stuff shouldn't be wrong but this is topic is about Apple.

@MilwaukeeMike

None of the above... think about it for yourself. if you had the chance to buy Apple stock for $7 a share, would you take it? Well... if you think the stock is going to go up, then don't buy, just wait until it does and then buy it. If you think the stock is going to go down further, then yes, you should buy the stock now and sell it so you can get the cash before your options are worth less.

There are other possibilities, like maybe he's trying to show confidence to investors by buying stock now, or maybe he's ok with taking on the risk now that he made so much money selling his TV station. Who knows. But my comments aren't based on any hatred of Apple. Buy just out of curiosity, what are these market leading changes Apple is going to make that's going to boost their price up to $700?

Man, the rich are never short of opportunities. How does one ever get to participate of something like that? These things aren't advertised, when you find out about them it's too late, or you can't participate because it's by invitation only, it's a reserved practice and what not.

Back