Alcatel Speed Touch USB with WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidosmosis

Has anyone ever tried to use the Alcatel Speed Touch USB dsl modem with WinXP? I'm pretty sure this modem isn't support on WinXP, but a while back I upgraded to XP and XP told me that I couldnt use the modem with XP. I went and tried to connect anyway just to see what would happen and connected but would be disconnected every 2 minutes or so. Then I tried about 20 different things trying to get around it hehe. Hey doesnt hurt to try ;-). Anyway, found out later on when I got a Geforce2 that you can't install WinXP with a Geforce2 card in your computer either (will hang on the install process). You have to put a temporary video card in other than the GF2 and install then put it back in and it works fine.

Anyway, the point is since I now have a new video card I want to upgrade to XP, so I need to order a new modem from Bellsouth that supports XP. The question is, what would be the dsl modem I would need (or that you recommend) and any thoughts you have on this. Out of curiousity.

Found several pages on google relating to that Alcatel modem and most of them pointed to this MSKB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;323520

I have put XP on many systems with GF2 cards in them without problem first off, so that kills your theory there, not sure what relavence it had here in the first place though.

I am thinking these two problems may be some way related. There may be a conflict or problem somewhere that is causing these things not to work properly on your system.

Well as far as the Geforce2 Windows XP problem, I read in several places on the net that their was a conflict somewhere when installing XP so I assumed that had to be the problem. Especially since before I had the Geforce2 I was able to install XP with no problem (just couldnt use my dsl modem).

BTW.. I'm going to install XP right now and see if I can get the DSL modem to work with those web site instructions you gave me. Thanks.

I've got both a GeForce 2 and and an Alcatel Speed Touch USB running on Win XP, and never had any problem with either. The early drivers for the Alcatel did used to cause a few problems for some people, but that has been rectified a long time ago...

I've also had the same DSL modem for maybe a year and installed it on two XP computers and never had any trouble at all. Don't have the same video card though.

This is the very reason we should NEVER assume anything. When you make assumptions as though they were truths, it leads to bad advice and spreads misinformation.

As Storm says, you must have a conflict. The Alcatel site says the SpeedTouch USB, IS supported for XP. It should work. Also, you might try the latest drivers, they just released 2.0.1 not long ago, maybe that will help.

The Alcatel site "used" to say it was not supported by XP, but this was over a year ago in the past. Also they have updated their drivers. The new drivers actually work. I tried it after installing XP earlier this week, BUT then I had ANOTHER problem with my Geforce2 drivers. It was working fine for a day or two then all of the sudden my monitor started going black for half a second every once in a while. I looked this up and found that a lot of other people have had the same problem. Needless to say I went right back to Windows 2000 and now I dont have any problems. Windows XP isn't worth the hassle.

BTW.. on the Geforce2 WinXP driver problem.. sometimes my computer even would hang and I would get a BSOD (blue screen of death).. Damnit where is my Radeon 9700 Pro.. slow USPS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back