Alien: Isolation Review: An intense horror game and heartfelt tribute

Jos

Staff

alien isolation review

While many a video game has been designed for people who enjoy killing aliens, Alien: Isolation can only have been created for people who derive some perverse pleasure out of being killed by an alien.

Sometimes the alien will kill you while you're running away, and sometimes while you're hiding under a table. Sometimes it will play with you before killing you, and other times it will kill you while you check email. Regardless of how it happens, rest assured that the alien will kill you. Often. That is what the bulk of Alien: Isolation consists of: Being mercilessly murdered, over and over again, by a horrifying, eight-foot-tall monster from outer space.

If that's your thing, though, it's pretty good stuff.

Read the complete review.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great review! I've found myself pretty much in sneak mode nearly the entire first few hours. Figured I would just get used to it early on. I would recommend getting this game if you're currently on the fence about. Worth it!

Have been sitting on the fence about this one. Good review though, have loved the Alien movies (particularly the first) for ages and this seems like a good attempt to make a game out of it.

Found it was going for £19 on G2A and couldnt resist.. only 30 or 40 minutes in and its already shitting me right up. Good stuff.

I like this game. For me the atmosphere in this game was simply stunning and engrossing. That Alien irritated the crap out of me at times but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of the game as a whole. I felt like I was in the game. The visuals were incredible to me and the sound effects were spectacular. The reviewer didn't talk about the sound aspect of this game but holy moly did it add the realism. I'm not talking about music either as I always turn it off in games. Whoever was in charge of putting the sounds in this game absolutely nailed it! I wasn't even aware of this game until it was here and almost passed it up. Man I'm sure glad I didn't.

Great Review! I don't when last I laughed so often in a review about a game, or nodded in agreement on specifics.
Sold!

This game had me cursing as well. I just got it. For years, I wanted it, but all research told me my rig wouldn't handle it - AMD Phenom X3 720BE 2.8gbz with 4th core unlocked, no OCing. nVidia 5200 GTX video card. On medium, the game play is smooth. My fear was when the alien came around it would become choppy. Nope. Smooth, smooth, smooth. Not sure why I was told it wouldn't work on my rig but the "Can You Run It" site is bunk as this, as well as Mad Max, are running just fine. Sure, not at maxed graphics capacity, but overall for me, it looks pretty darned stunning on my rig. Sorry for posting in an old article, but just had to add my 2 cents. The game is nerve racking and also just plain aggravating in how many times I've had to restart, including the first encounter with the humans when you have to get the hacking device. After 4 hours of frustration, I had to search for help and the thing I didn't realize is, don't pick up the device until you're ready to run. So I went and collected everything around the area, found where all the panels were and then went back and saved the game first, then grabbed the hacking device and got out of dodge as quickly as possible. But overall, still a fun game, but it is frustratingly hard. I mean, the Alien was more or less the perfect weapon (until it met Ripley), but should it be easy? Nope. But at least, unlike the victims in the movies, you can come back and try again.

Back