Alienware M11x available for preorder, specs revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Alienware's 11.6-inch gaming notebook is now up for preorder, and more importantly, its inner-workings have been made public. Sadly, the base $799 system is meeker than we hoped, carrying a 1.3GHz Intel Pentium SU4100 processor, 2GB of DDR3 800MHz RAM, a 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT335M GPU, and a 160GB 5400RPM HDD.

Scaling up from that is a 1.3GHz Core 2 Duo SU7300 (an extra $100), 4GB or 8GB of RAM ($50 or $350), 250GB to 500GB ($50 to $150) of disk storage or a 256GB SSD ($570). Other specs include a 1.3 megapixel webcam, 5.1 HD audio, optional Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, 3G mobile broadband through AT&T or Verizon, and an external optical drive.

The M11x offers Windows 7 Home Premium x64 by default, but Professional and Ultimate are also available. Systems ordered now have a preliminary ship date of March 1.

Permalink to story.

But is anyone going to buy one? No. Because it's Dell's crap with a fancy name, and the specs are terrible for the price. DON'T BUY A NAME! BUY A LAPTOP!

I want one but not for the name. I need something that has good battery life for traveling and web surfing, homework, streaming video, etc.

But I would also like smething that I could run games like counterstrike, TF2, COD mw2 and the like to replace my xbox. Find something else with 6.5 hours of battery life, weighs 4.5 pounds, and can run games like that.

exactly

plus only 1800 for 8 gigs of ram 256gb ssd and CULV core 2 duo and nvidia gt335m grapix card.
That should run pretty smoothly

@Guest: Then please explain to me where I can find an ultraportable gaming laptop at this price. Oh and also please find one that doesn't run its battery out in an hour and a half. Cuz I'm about to buy this thing and if you can find me a better deal I'd love to see it. (And don't mention its 11 inch screen, the HDMI port takes care of that completely.)

Don't be hatin, Guest... You're buying Alienware quality, which has slowly been trickling into other arenas of Dell since they were acquired. And even if it wasn't Alienware, I've had a killer XPS gaming notebook for years and it's been one of the most solid laptops I've ever had. Oh, and my last 5 laptops have been Dells, and the only issue I ever had was a faulty backlight on a screen, which was fixed on-site in 24 hours...

Maybe instead of bashing a laptop because of a name, you should look at the specs and hardware included and judge on that. And if you think nobody is going to buy this one, you're insane. This unit will sell very well, I think.

Guest #1 is obviously trolling. He's most likely going after an iPad.

Great specs for this price. I know I'll be ordering one very soon.

hmmm, yeah a little dissapointed at the starting specs that they give me. About 200 more for the ideal specs that I envisioned......but still. It's small enough to be considered a netbook and powerful enough for all my media needs w/o sitting on a computer chair. I love the technology that Alienware laptops provides (dunno if any other laptop does the stuff it can such as face recognition and light-up keyboards, woohoo!). I just like this laptop. SO small yet so powerful. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the graphic chip(card) more powerful than their m15x?

yet again, small, powerful, stylish = a good buy for me. Although I would like a faster processor w/o OC....

I'd go for a much better laptop for that $ . but that's me, I don't need a shrunken mediocre computer.

@Badfinger - ah, but that "shrunken mediocre computer" can play Left 4 Dead 2 at 50 fps consistently... muahahahaha*cough*hahahaha

Really, though, this is a platform that has been created as a balanced optimization of gaming performance and mobile performance. Some of the minor components may seem a bit "meh" but that was done for a reason - they've been laced together to give a solid reliable platform. Now those bigger 15x and 17x models, those are just heavy game game game damn the battery life full steam ahead models! Great for LAN parties and as your only gaming PC, not really practical for an actual road warrior.

I love the idea of this notebook..but for gaming? Almost every game I have requires the CD/DVD to be in the optical drive. If I buy an external drive then immediately the 4lb weight goes up! Next I have the problem of how to carry the drive when I travel, and finally -- where do I put this external drive when I am not seated comfortably at a desk; e.g. aeroplane, airport, waiting room etc?

(Please! No suggestions about using NOCD cracks, etc.-- I want to know what normal people would do to solve my problems.)

I love the idea of this notebook..but for gaming? Almost every game I have requires the CD/DVD to be in the optical drive. If I buy an external drive then immediately the 4lb weight goes up! Next I have the problem of how to carry the drive when I travel, and finally -- where do I put this external drive when I am not seated comfortably at a desk; e.g. aeroplane, airport, waiting room etc?

(Please! No suggestions about using NOCD cracks, etc.-- I want to know what normal people would do to solve my problems.)

If you're not willing to use a NO-CD crack -- which are generally harmless -- you could make an image of the disc and mount it virtually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image
http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

Guest said:

You could probably get your games from places like Steam, Impulse, etc., where the initial purchase/download/authentication is the only DRM. I game on the road all the time, and my modular bay has an extra battery instead of the optical drive. There are plenty of ways you can game on the road, if you just look at the options.

You could probably get your games from places like Steam, Impulse, etc., where the initial purchase/download/authentication is the only DRM. I game on the road all the time, and my modular bay has an extra battery instead of the optical drive. There are plenty of ways you can game on the road, if you just look at the options.
Thanks for the responses re Steam and Imaging etc. Actually, I have no problems with NOCD cracks myself, but there are many potential users who are not aware of these options, or have the skill.

Even so, it does still leave a problem for people like me. Right now I am playing Fallout 3. My version is 1.07...I have seen several NOCD cracks available, but all for lower versions! (Incididentally, for other Fallout 3 players, you don't need a crack! Simply start the game using fallout3.exe and not fallout3launcher.exe! )

As far as Steam is concerned, unless I am mistaken (my wife has a few Steam games) the offering is pretty limited?

Nevertheless, I have to agree that this is a sweet machine--and it does what no netbook does--but I travel a lot and the external optical drive issue is probably the deal-killer for me. Maybe,someone can make a lightweight 14" which will work for me.

Thanks again for the suggestions

i love all this speculation about the 11. Maybe one of you that has a job will go buy it and give us a legit review?

Well, why don't you step up to the plate? You can buy one and create a blog review, or even start a thread on the TechSpot forum.

Well, I have searched for a couple of hours for a lightweight gaming notebook that includes an optical drive. The only model that I can be certain of is the Dell Studio XPS 13. It weighs in at under 5lb, has a very nice Intel 2 Core Duo P8700 with 3mb cache and a FSB of 1066 Mhz. The graphics card is NVIDIA® GeForce® G210M – 512MB.

I really like Asus (I have two), but their website is designed for people who know exactly which model they are looking for. Unlike Dell where you can start your search from several preference points.

The downside to the Dell is price! It works out to C$1700 when I include 3 year warranty and a spare 9-cell battery.

All this nonsense because of the US security knee jerk reaction to the Christmas Day scare. e.g. You can fly all over the US with your wheeled notebook case, but Canadians are prohibited from bringing a wheeled bag onto a plane flying into the US. Sheesh! That must make Americans sleep easier at night!

I would probably buy it because it looks cool, i dont need a gaming laptop but it will surely run with style!

I thought noce you had loaded all your games on then you would need to carry the disk drive around because they have already been saved to the memory :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back