Alienware M11x gaming notebook to kick off at $799

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Remember that 11.6-inch Alienware notebook spotted at CES? At the time, Dell said the netbook-sized device would sell for under a grand, and yesterday Engadget stumbled upon a bit of source code revealing the system's base price: "The Alienware M11x, with over 6.5 hours of battery life and weighing under 4.5 lbs. will start at an amazing $799! Leave it to the folks at Alienware to enable truly mobile performance gaming at an affordable price."

Considering the brand's reputation for peddling overpriced computers, kicking things off at $799 isn't so bad. Sadly, there are no details about exactly what hardware ships at that price. The M11x at CES carried switchable integrated and Nvidia GT335M graphics, attained 50 FPS in Crysis, and about 6,000 to 7,000 in 3DMark. An exact release date has yet to be defined, but the system is due later this year.

Update: It's also worth noting that the M15x and M17x just became available for $1,199 and $1,799, respectively. At that price, they ship with Intel's latest mobile platform, but the M17x can be configured with a Core 2 Duo for $100 less.

Permalink to story.

$800 is a great price, but would be nice to see some specs. And there's something wrong here - a system that will only score 6-7k (low to mid-range score) in 3DMark is no way in hell going to run Crysis at 50 fps.

I'll believe it when I see it. ;)

"attained 50 FPS in Crysis" probably means it reached 50fps.."

True - probably at the startup logo. :p

Well, I was just watching a video on another site with someone playing Left 4 Dead 2 and getting framerates in the 50s... Of course, the actual settings used to get that weren't listed, but still, not bad for such a small form factor.

I'm curious in seeing how many people who hated this laptop in the previous thread change their tune due to the price.

ColdFusion1990 said:
"attained 50 FPS in Crysis" probably means it reached 50fps, but the average was lower

Also they probably ran it at 1024x768 or something with low settings.

Wendig0 said:
I'm curious in seeing how many people who hated this laptop in the previous thread change their tune due to the price.

I assume I would be among them =P. While I didn't hate it I wasn't fond of the idea at first, with a price tag of $800 now and situations as you elaborated on in the previous thread I'm sensing you might be right. Individuals who need something compact and powerful as well as people who want to PC game on the go and be on the cheaper side this seems good. But I still believe that gamers that really want to game and can't bring a long there desktop will go for the bulky larger screen gaming laptop.

TomSEA said:
"attained 50 FPS in Crysis" probably means it reached 50fps.."

True - probably at the startup logo. :p

They could've been in-game...staring at a corner with no action ;-) .

Who cares about looks at this point ... (cheap, small, gaming laptop) not ( walk down a runways, stylish laptop)

guys look up on youtube about hp dv8t.... it has gt 230m which is a little bit weaker then gt 335...... this dude was runing at 1920x1080 at medium settings at 35 FPS......so i think this laptop can definately run on high settings at 1366x768 probably at 35 FPS.....which is good..... i wish if they put core i7 620um which is 1.07ghz 4mb cache 2 cores 4 threads and has turbo boost to 1,86ghz......which is alot faster that core 2 duo su7300 which is only 1,3 ghz and 3 mb cache.....also it would be amazing if they could squeeze two 1.8 inch hard drives. so one of them can be 128gb ssd and other one 250gb hdd....... my friends did that in his hp envy 15.....its amazing how technology progressed since i got my last laptop......2 years ago

Its cheap, and will play games at high setting, but prob play them best on medium. What more do u want! portable gaming on this thing would work, just get a Desktop to play with the GFX on higest settings. That said, it would prob be outdated in a year. (but isn't everything)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back