Alienware range to get 14 and 18-inch laptop models

Jos

Staff

Dell could soon add two new gaming notebooks to its Alienware range in the form of a 14-inch and an 18-inch model, according to images leaked on the dell.benyouhui forums. Details are scarce at the moment but the larger model -- appropriately named M18x -- is said to sport a 1080p display and graphics from either two AMD Radeon HD 6870M chips in CrossFire mode or two Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M GPUs set up in SLI.

Meanwhile, the M14x would join the well-received M11x in combining gaming prowess with portability -- only a little more of the former in exchange for a little less of the latter. The notebook reportedly includes a glossy display, combined with matte surfaces, and overall follows the same design cues as other models in the Alienware laptop family. Graphics could come from Nvidia's GeForce GT 555M, AMD's Radeon HD 6730M or Radeon HD 6770M according to the source.

The new models are expected to complement existing 11-inch, 15-inch and 17-inch form factors and come equipped with the latest Sandy Bridge processors. Unfortunately, release dates or prices for the two systems are not yet known.

Permalink to story.

I am typing this on my m11x right now. I would love to see a well designed 14in myself. I have loved having good gaming power with 7+ hours of battery life and weighs less than 4lbs. Cudos for Dell and Alienware for designing systems that gamers want!

18in... pass. I like my back :D

Yeah... no thank you. I can get an Asus or Toshiba with similar specs for hundreds less.

I love Alienware, I just hate (most*) their prices.

*I, for instance, love M11x's price and portability, but the others seem slightly overpriced compared to the competition.

I do want a m11x... getting the bucks together...

@Paulwuzhere: Do you have it on a Core2Duo or i7 config? HOW well doest it behave? I've read some good reviews, some not that good but in the end it all comes to an 11" portable gaming device.

@lawfer - I've been pricing out and purchasing laptops constantly for the past few years... And yes, Alienware does tend to run a bit higher on costs. But, I've found that it's not nearly as much as it used to be - if you can find identically configured systems from ASUS or Toshiba, usually the Alienware has a premium of $300-500 (depending on how expensive the overall system is). That premium is partially due to the flashy packaging and "ooh ahh" bells and whistles in their laptop line. But, a big part of the premium you are paying is for the customization options you have. Most comparable mainstream laptops have a few standard models, and you just have to choose the one that is closest to what you really want. With the Alienware (and Dell in general), you get to pick and choose from the available components, and tailor the system to what you want. That "custom" feel is a big part of the premium you pay, and I have a love/hate relationship with it. When one of our guys needs a very specific type of system, I can usually find the right combination with Dell/Alienware. But, since my guys know that, I tend to get more "special" requests... Gah! :)

Very nice - and I agree about Alienware pricing. It's a little higher than some other gaming models, but I have yet to see other models with the options that an Alienware comes with. Even the Sager laptops that everyone seemed to want to point me to didn't have either the futuristic look and feel of the alienware case nor the sophisiticated keyboard backlighting that I have come to rely on.

I looked for a month before buying my m15x and really feel like I made the right decision. I may have paid more, but you really get a lot of machine with an AW.

I wish they had pushed out this 14 inch model a few months ago when I was looking though ; ;
I love the M15 but it' a little bulky and heavy. M11 is too small. 14 inch seems just right.

I have the SU7300 C2D model. My buddy has the R2 with the i5. In a few modern games like modern warfare 2 he does get a good boost in performance with the heftier chip. When I bought mine the i5 was WAY outside of my price range, recent sales have made it a worthwhile upgrade.

Performance difference is usually 5-10 fps increase. My battery life does seem longer though.

18 inches sounds like a desktop lol, besides Alienware has been dead to me since Dell bought it. Thx but no i can get a better custom gaming PC for so much less :(

Thanks Paulwuzhere, one last question though, when both play MW2 those 5-10 fps gain is with what video settings and on a range of how many fps each machine?

Trying to convince myself to get one of those... he he he

lawfer said:
Yeah... no thank you. I can get an Asus or Toshiba with similar specs for hundreds less.

I love Alienware, I just hate (most*) their prices.

*I, for instance, love M11x's price and portability, but the others seem slightly overpriced compared to the competition.

really? i know the normal prices are pretty damn high but alienware has alot of sales where the most basic 11" model is between 500-650USD. i find that their low end computers are pretty cheap when coupled with good sales and they get insanely overpriced as the computer gets better.

You can get the refurbs at the dell.com/outlet - and if you follow them on twitter they sometimes have coupon offers. I've seen them (m11x) as low as 400 bucks with a coupon for the dual core configurations.

I still don't buy that Alienware is *that* much more than other custom gaming manufacturers. Once you start increasing the specs on those machine the price skyrockets as well and you don't get the bells and whistles that are standard on Alienware machines.

Exactly as they have stated before, you pay for the customization. They have X parts for the "standard" model, and then you ask for Y for your custom pieces then...

Back