All e-mails from my inbox in Outlook Express have disappeared (Windows 98)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the last few months I've been sorting through my inbox on my old Windows 98 computer...there are thousands of messages in the inbox, many of which I never read, and I figured I should go through them to see if any are important before selling or disposing of the old computer.
However, when I opened up Outlook Express 6 on there today, my inbox was empty. Outbox and Trash were also empty. The "Sent" folder had about 700 of my old sent e-mails, though.
So what do you think happened to all the messages in my inbox and how can I get them back?

Some more information...I hadn't used or turned on the computer in about a month before today, and the last time I used it a month ago, my inbox was definitely still full. I didn't do anything else to my computer the last time I used it and no one else has had access to it since then. However, I think there *may* be a possibility that I tried to "Export" all my messages the last time I used it...I have some vague recollection of getting annoyed with how slow the computer was going so I decided to try and Export the e-mails to burn the exported mail file onto a CD and then sort through them with Outlook on my new computer to save time and hassle. I think I may have attempted this but it didn't work or something. I'm not really sure what happened, I just remember thinking that I'd try it another time, but I know my inbox was never empty before today. Other than my possible attempt to use the "Export" feature, I didn't do or change anything else on the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back