Solved All .exe files have forgoten their roots. (unable to open)

w3zli

Well, im not 100% sure this was the cause of Maleware or a Virus.

But since i recently freed my computer from Maleware, and it was running wonderfully, i have gotten this error.

My VAIO came with "VAIO care" and it has a "Tune-up" program that "speeds" up your computer, since i had a fresh computer, i thought, welll, why not?

I remember reading something about "Defragmenting Disk".
Well when it restarded, all of my files in my desktop were white.

I could not run anything since i got the error message "Unable to find ____"

So now i cannot run ANYTHING, unless i manually select "open with" and search for the folder of the application and choose the original .exe.

I scanned AVG. and Malewarebytes, and non detected anything.
I also ran "Super-antiMaleware" and nothing popped up.

Sadly, this occurred before i could crate a restore point, so no restore points are registered on my computer. so I'm stuck

Thank you for the help :)
well Appreciated.

Fix found

Nevermind.

I found out that all of my .LNK files were messed up.

i found a fix to this.

"I've seen this happen before when upon opening a program through a shortcut (e.g. .LNK file), you are asked what program to open it with. After selecting Word via the Select a program from a list of installed programs, and checking the Always use the selected program to open this type of file, the Word document referenced by the original shortcut opens in Word as it should.

The trouble is that now all shortcuts (e.g. .LNK files) on the desktop or throughout Explorer will want to be opened by Word. This is known as a file association. . The same condition could occur if you performed those actions on a .JPG or even an .EXE, but the .LNK explanation is far more likely.

This has happened enough that a small utility has been written to undo the .LNK file association that was created. There is a registry hack to accomplish this, but I recommend the unLNK utility for its ease of use.

An Utility to Unassociate File Types in Windows 7 and Vista
http://www.winhelponline.com/articl...ociate-File-Types-in-Windows-7-and-Vista.html

Just use the utility to unassociate the .LNK files. Direction for use are provided on the web page above (the same place to get the utility)."

Worked like a charm.
Now i shall make a restore point ;)

Back