All fans come on, but screen stays black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo.

Well, here's my problem; I've recently upgraded my Graphics card, Ram and Motherboard, and whenever I switch the power on, all the fans start up, but nothing appears on the screen. I unfortunately have no other DDR2 ram, PCIE cards or a motherboard that TAKES PCIE >.< So I can't test any of the components on their own, plus the motherboard has no on-board graphics.

I've had a look at the POST guide, and nothing from there appears to work. I've also tried disconnecting everything except the ram, graphs card and CPU, but again no change. Could it be that my Ram is faulty/incompatable? Fauly Graphics card? I know my CPU works because I've tried it in another computer, and it runs fine.

Any help would be appreciated. (It might take me a while to reply, sorry if that's the case.)

Specs:

MotherBoard: Asus P5B SE

LGA775, intel P965 + ICH8, Intel Core2 Quad-core CPU FSB 1333, Dual-ch DDR2 800, 6x SATA 3Gb/s, Gb lan, 6-ch HD audio, crash-free BIOS3, EZFlash2, Q-fan.​

PSU: EZCool ATX-450 JSP (450W)

CPU: Intel P4 3.2 Ghz

Ram: LD 1Gb PC-800 64*8 16c

1 GB DDR2 PC2-6400 DIMM 240 PIN 800Mhz​

Graphics card: ATI Radion Para-Souls x1650

PCIE 512mb 128BIT DDR2​

Hear any HDD activity? If you toss a bootable CD into your optical drive, does it read it?

If so, it would appear that you simply aren't getting a display signal, but the rest of your system is okay. Try clearing the CMOS, and if that doesn't work, RMA the VPU if you can't test it out on another PC (which is preferable because you won't be happy to get it back in two weeks and still have no display).

HDD seems to be active, and the drive reads the disk. I tried clearing the CMOS, no luck. Sorry, RMA?

Also, I have a 20 to 24 pin extention on my PSU, would that effect it?

RMA:

A Return Merchandise Authorization or Return Material Authorization (RMA) is a transaction whereby the recipient of a product arranges to return defective goods to the supplier to have the product repaired or replaced or in order to receive a refund or credit for another product from the same retailer or corporation. In practice, an RMA is only issued after a series of tests...

Before you send anything back, try a different PSU in your PC and see if you can get a response from the x1650 in another PC afterward.

If I were you, I would take it all apart.....take the components back to wherever you bought them and ask them to test the parts. Tell them the truth.....that you have no way to test at home. If they are cool, that will do this for you. Fry's Electronics did it for a friend of mine in exactly the same boat. You are in a helpless situation at home. It is most likely a non-compatibility issue....or the ram.....or the GFX.....or the cpu. Yeah, you need help but don't go to a tech and pay.

Thanks for all the help. I went to my brothers at the weekend, so I took my Graphics card and Ram with me, looks like it's the Graphics card, since it does the same when I install it into his comp.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back