All games crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ho all,

I recently purchased new parts to build a new PC with, will be shown below, and I'm having some MAJOR problems when I try to game. Due to the fact that that is why I purchased what I did, I have needless to say, become rather frustrated.

I am a bit of a WoW head and shortly after getting all of my new components and assembling the machine I began playing. Everything working like a charm, fast as can be, then I powered off the machine for the night and went to bed. Next day, upon waking up, I powered the machine on and again got into WoW. Things then took a turn for the worse. After about five minutes artifacts on the GUI suddenly showed up around my cursor and within a few seconds the system crashed. No BSOD, just restart. Thinking it might be an overheating problem I downloaded Speedfan to check the heating of the machine. It was running a bit hot so I kicked up the fan speeds and went back to work. Nothing helped, constantly crashing, I now thought I might have a bigger problem than overheating. The next day I visited a friend of mine who is a little more tech savvy than myself and we began our 8 hour trek (with multiple food breaks included) into determining the problem. Ran Memtest and all RAM was good, ran PC Check on video RAM and Motherboard; everything passed. Jumped into windows and ran Prime95 and no crashing there either. CPU was still mighty hot, but the system did not crash. I decided that perhaps it could be a heating issue and purchased a new Zalman heatsinc which cooled it down considerably. We soon noticed that the voltages of the PSU were a little low (as shown on speedfan) with Vcore at 1.26v +12v at 9.98 and AVCC around 3.33. Thinking that could be the problem I grabbed a 700 Watt PSU and a GPU specific 450 Watt Visiontek PSU. No change to the voltages at all. Again ran Prime95 and it continued to pass each test without crashing. Installed a different game and it also crashed after about 5-10 minutes. All drivers are up to date as well. I'm about out of options and I am now thinking something could be wrong with motherboard, perhaps the PCI-E slot...specs are:

Motherboard XFX MB-N780-ISH9
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600
RAM: 4gb Dual Channel Corsair
GPU: Nvidia XFX Gx2
PSU: BFG 650 Watt and Visiontek 450 GPU specific PSU
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 320gb HDD (SATA)
Optical Drive: Samsung DVD+RAM (EIDE)

Any thoughts would be excellent!!

which CPU cooler are u using... because the CPU might be overheating....also when i was building my bro's C2Q system i had the same issue. Try and reseat the CPU it worked for me...im not too sure about vista, try another OS like Xp.... hope this stuff works 4 u.... gd luck

Thanks for the ideas...Heatsink is a Zalman CNPS9700

The fan has a manual control block so I can set it to max which I usually do, esp when running Prime95 and all games, I'll give reseating a try, thanks again!

I attempted to reseat CPU and checked heatsink and all, but alas, it still goes down. I don't think it's an overheating issue as I would sometimes alt-tab out to check speed fan to see what the temp was and the cores were all operating right around 45C with the load on them. Beginning to question the PCI-E slot itself or maybe the board. Not sure yet, any other ideas would be excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back