TechSpot

All games lag.

By mr_hanky
Jan 14, 2007
  1. Hello im new to this forum so hi. Anyway I lag in games like 1.6 (low powered). This has been happening for a month now and i know that my conection is fine (cable, also single player games lag). Like I said again ALL GAMES, im not talking about games like cod2 im talking about freakin cs 1.6. I will post specs shortly.

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.40GHz
    Memory: 502MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 80 GB
    Video Card: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Sound Card: SoundMAX Digital Audio
    Speakers/Headphones:
    Keyboard: USB Root Hub
    Mouse: USB Root Hub
    Mouse Surface:
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    It's not old its just not made for playing cod2 spec like games (plz dont flame me saying my comp sucks I know that). http://www.xfire.com/profile/ these are the games I'm running (nvm red orachestra). These games used to run really well before now it lags really bad. TY for ur time

2. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

Try read my general troubleshooting faq. (sig)

3. mr_hanky

mr_hanky TS Rookie Topic Starter

Whats malware? How do I know I have it? I doubt I have a virus cause my computer runs fast. I have 47 processes when I click crt-alt-delet. PLZ HELP ME I CAN'T PLAY GAMES!!!!

That guide didn't help, but ty.

Can u explain to me how to check temp/heat. I have a laptop.

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

A celeron is not a powerful CPU - especially for gaming
    you have integrated graphics
    your ram is also not much.

Basically you have a non gaming compter - what did you expect?

5. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

Malware.. otherwise known as Malicious Software or sometimes called "warez", it means the likes of virus, trojans, spyware, adware, greyware, etc etc.

If you read all the way down to the bottom of the guide, there is a link to follow and instructions to make sure you're 100% free of them. Regardless if your PC is fast or not. Try it, you'd never know..

Download and install Everest home as linked in my guide at the very top. Go to Computer >Sensor on the navigation panel. There it will tell you the estimated temperature readings.

Tedster is quite correct, your laptop isn't created for gaming, but still, at least CS 1.6 should be able to play ok (not like you're ever going to get cs source at max settings or anything). You'd need a decent but more pricier laptop for a decent gaming experience.

If things started to go downhill from a month ago, can you remember if you've installed anything, or changed any system environment (hardware/software)?

6. aman501

aman501 TS Rookie Posts: 46

If you want to even run newer games you definitely going to need a graphics card. no questions asked. Your processor is also rather slow and you could use a RAM upgrade.

p.s. 512MB RAM not 502MB...

7. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

Yes mr_hanky,
    your only real option is to get a good video card. Hopefully you have an AGP port on your motherboard...

8. mr_hanky

Intergrated grafics suck!!!! I need 2 upgrade ram 2 play cs 1.6? wtf? I just found out I have 512mb but 10 of them are reserved.

9. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

Lol guys, he's using a laptop. You can't upgrade the graphics card on a laptop. And that Celeron M CPU isn't too slow. It has a 1MB L2 cache, that should help.

10. mr_hanky

Yeah only comps like alein ware. My comp should be able to run cs 1.6 come on. I DON'T CARE ABOUT COD2 AND GAMES WITH THOSE SPECS. I'm talking about games low powered like cs 1.6. (sorry about caps)

11. nismo91

nismo91 TS Guru Posts: 1,004   +11

no worry, how hard you try it, it's still the same.
    You can;t change your CPU, can;t change your VGA card too

This is not a joke but, i play playstation 1 in my desktop (#1)
    and the games is laggy too, though the specs is nearly doubled my laptop (#2) except VGA thingy. (playstation 1 is only 320x240 pix basically, much lower than CS of course). But when i play it in my laptop, no problem at all.

Suggestion is tweak your system till at least could get some improvement. or upgrade whole laptop...

12. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,634   +321

Make sure your hard drive is in DMA mode not PIO. Update your integrated graphics drivers, defrag your hard drive, disable unnecessary services, close unnecessary programs, run the game at lower settings.

If you can't run them properly after that, you'll need to do a clean install of Windows. If you can't run them properly after that, everyone was right all along and your system can't handle the games.

13. mr_hanky

Whats DMA mode? Whats PIO mode? How do I make sure it's in DMA? Plz tell me i'm slowly learning about computer and all that stuff. How do I install windows? link? Plz man give me details.

14. Tmagic650

Geeze,
    I'm always getting caught like that!

"Intergrated grafics suck!!!! I need 2 upgrade ram 2 play cs 1.6? wtf? I just found out I have 512mb but 10 of them are reserved."

mr_hanky,
    The 10MB of reserved memory is used for your "sucky" integrated graphics

15. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,634   +321

16. Tmagic650

I love Google SNGX1275, and I love Newegg too. I use Copy and Paste to a Google search window right here in my browser. It works very well. We do tend to explain things over and over again don't we...

Like finding DMA settings in XP:

Start, Control Panel, SYSTEM, HARDWARE, Device Manager, and double click on ATA/ATAPI controllers, Primary IDE Channel, Advanced Settings

17. mr_hanky

Got it thank you but it's set to DMA mode. I searched my problem no help.

18. mr_hanky

Can anyone else help me?

19. Tmagic650

Buy another more powerful laptop... or a desktop where you can update much better

20. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,457   +228

You said it was running ok a month ago. Someone else mentioned overheating as a possibility. Can you open your laptop to blow out any dust?

21. notcorn

notcorn TS Rookie Posts: 49

47 processes is definitely a bit much so I think you could claw back some performance by disabling a few you don't need or setting them to manual by running services.msc from the run command on your start menu. There's not much you can do about the graphics but you could try increasing the video memory from your BIOS if that's possible, 10mb seems unusually low even for "sucky" integrated graphics.You will probably still want to upgrade your rig though.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.