TechSpot

All my Task Manager tabs are missing

By bert913
Aug 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. When I open my Task Manager I have the list of processes, the gray border around them and the End Process button and that’s all. Everything else is missing. I have no tabs, no blue border and no Minimize, Maximize or Close buttons.
    Can anyone tell me how to get them back.
    The End Process button works and I can close using the little square at the right end of the Taskbar.
    I am using Windows XP home.

I read somewhere to do this :

Go to Start >>> select Run >>> type taskmgr.exe.

Hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift together, and while holding them down, press ENTER.

I did it twice, it didn’t work.

P.S. I found a thread with the same problem but I couldn’t figure out how to read any replies.

2. WinXPert

WinXPert TS Booster Posts: 527

3. bert913

bert913 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

Thanks a bunch, that worked great!
    I don’t have a red spot but 2xclick the border worked.

4. WinXPert

WinXPert TS Booster Posts: 527

Oh i just edited that in Paint to emphasize the area where I usually click

5. okayo0

okayo0 TS Rookie

The reason this problem is likely to lead to virus or Trojan attacks, "Task Manager" is disabled, the solution to the problem are:
    (1) the use of anti-virus software for viruses.
    (2) with the mouse on the desktop, select "Start → Run."
    (3) In the pop-up window "Open" field type gpedit.msc and click "OK" button to launch the "Group Policy" editor.
    (4) "Local Computer Policy" under, expand "User Configuration → Administrative Templates → System → Login / Register" branch.
    (5) in the right window, double-click "Disable Task Manager" item in the pop-up window, select "Not Configured" option, click "OK" button to save and exit. This press "Ctrl + Alt + Del" key combination brings up the "Task Manager" of the.

6. bert913

bert913 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

Say what?

Thanks okayo0, but that’s way too complicated for a computer illiterate like me.
    I took the advice of WinXPert and double clicked on the border. The tabs came back and everything works fine.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.