Alleged Silk Road mastermind maintains innocence but says confiscated Bitcoins are his

By Shawn Knight
Dec 26, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Ross Ulbricht, the 29-year-old alleged mastermind behind the online drug marketplace Silk Road, still maintains his innocence. But those 173,000 Bitcoins the FBI confiscated as assets believed to have been used to facilitate money laundering and six failed murder-for-hire attempts…...

Read more
  2. SirGCal

SirGCal TechSpot Member Posts: 86   +21

It really doesn't matter. He was a known contributor to the very obvious 'bad' site. He should rot, but that's just my opinion. I don't agree with the FBI overlord type of control, but I also don't agree with obvious law bypasses to help facilitate murder or drug use. In this case, IMHO, he can rot.
    spectrenad likes this.
  3. Basically you want to pay with taxes for his rotting.
  4. SirGCal

How do I pay taxes for someone NOT getting their fake $ back from the FBI? Other then paying the basic FBI paycheck, how in the heck am I paying taxes for that?
  5. Because you're paying in taxes for the jail he sits in, for the food he eats, and for the luxuries he maintains while locked up in "prison".
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,818   +1,431

Not if the confiscated bitcoins after cashing in, pays for his prison stay.
  7. But cliff you and I both know that won't happen. They'll either sit in an evidence locker or "disappear" bit by bit
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,818   +1,431

^^^ LOL

I started to make the same comment about the evidence room.
  9. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,883   +351

Cant believe im saying this, but guest is right.
    Regardless of how irrelevant of his comment was.
  10. Khanonate

Khanonate TechSpot Member Posts: 91   +7

Bitcoin "disappear" bit by bit? lol....
  11. SirGCal

The point is simple; that is irreverent of the point of the discussion. He's in jail plain and simple. Returning this currency to him doesn't change the tax we pay. And his arguments most likely won't stand anyhow as other items have been confiscated in the past as mentioned in the topic successfully. The whole point of this topic is his bitcoins and if he deserves them, not what we spend on keeping the criminal in jail.
    cliffordcooley likes this.

12. I think we have just seen proof that too many drugs will make you DILLUSIONAL.
  13. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,883   +351

Something else I just realized...the constitution of the US guarantees the rights of life, liberty and property-when you commit crimes, you acknowledge the possibility to lose those rights.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,577   +863

WTF is, "DILLUSIONAL". Apparently, too much drug abuse turns you into the worst speller ever....:eek:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.