TechSpot

altec lansing ada885

By jazchana
Aug 9, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys, i am a proud owner of an altec lansing ada885 system. I have this system for nearly 3years now and had no problems until now. It is an exceptional system, etc, etc.

Anyways recently it came up with a problem. The sub would switch it self off. Now the sub has an integrated amp and so it doesn't exactly switch off, because i can still hear the sound from the four satellite speakers and adjuxst volume and so forth, i just cant hear any sound from the sub. It works for about a cpl of seconds when you first turn it on and than after that it cuts off.

I dont want to buy a new system, i am happy with this. I will take this system apart before i have to buy a new one. Does anyone out there happen to know what the problem is and how i could fix it. As i said before i do not mind going inside and trying to solve the problem myself, so detailed instructions would be nice please.

Thank you very much
    Jaz
  2. c14to10nf

c14to10nf TS Rookie

I had the exact same problem as well. When I removed the sub-woofer PCB (inside the speaker cab) it was fried. The toroid coils were cooked and other components were burned off the board. For me I would like to try and get another PCB and try to fix it, but really, it's time to get another sub-woofer, or another system.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.