Alternative to AVG anti-spyware

By gbhall
Jan 1, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AVG have been saying for 12 months they will discontinue the free version of anti-spyware. Now they actually mean it :rolleyes:!!

Anyone like to suggest alternative free anti-spyware with continuous monitoring, including emails, and with low processor and memory overheads :)??
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Well this one doesn't specifically have continuous monitoring, including emails
    But it's way better than AVG anyway:

Malwarebytes
  3. brucethetech

brucethetech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 301

your list of requirements is pretty long for a free program. most of the free ones are watered down or are lacking features that are vailable in pay-for versions. I'm surprised it didnt leave beofre now since AVG has incorperated that protection into their latest version of AVG antivirus free. you can write a simple code to send your log to a particular email address if it's that important for you
  4. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,327   +49

I am giving MS defender a try. There are hints on the web it is not bad at all - surprise !
    I already have at least three anti-spyware programs to be run on request, but wanted a lightweight background one in addition.
  5. trooper_901

trooper_901 Newcomer, in training

what about avast?
  6. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.