Am I safe?

drensmith

I currently have windows 7 64bit computer. I am running comodo 64-bit firewall with avast anti virus,and malwarebytes anti malware1.65.1.1000 (trial version). what firewall/antivirus do you reccomend? thank-you

That is a good combination.

Recall that werewolves are killed with a silver bullet? With the Internet as it is today there is no single silver bullet to kill the werewolves (aka trojans & virus'). Your personal style of usage has as much or more to do with security as any security software.
All you need to do to reduce your system to useless status is to:
  1. run day-2-day with an admin account (not likely with win/7)
  2. click with abandonment on any and all email links
Personally, even though I ran Comodo in XP/Pro and Avg, with Win/7 I now run the native firewall, Avast to scan email and web links and have MSRT available for on-demand scanning - - those are just my choices. I Like Avast (or any AV) that can scan a link in a webpage before it loads - - saved my toush more than once. I also don't scan every program I start using the bold assumption that if I can stop the infection(s), it's wasteful for my laptop to scan the same program 10,000 times to still find the same result - - a clean file.

So it comes down to - - which A/V do you trust and how carefull are you in clicking links in your email?

Av are some reviews give good reperts and others, not so good. there are more good reviews in avast than bad.(thus far what I read). avg is a close 2nd , again only what I read. for e-mail I use aol.com with I.e.9. my e-mail is non buisness , only friends. (relatives that live far away). is there a more secure e-mail provider? or a better browser? I like I.e.9 but would change for more security. thanx

P.s I never click on links in e mail,,if need be I go to the site without link

drensmith

that's a good combination. Personally, for internet browser I'm using chrome and adding WOT to my chrome, so at least I know the site's reputation before clicking :) I think WOT is also available fro IE, just add it to your browser, and it's free.

(WOT is a safe surfing tools that provides website ratings and reviews to help web users stay safe when search, surf, and shop online)

http://www.mywot.com/en/download

Learningmypc: I d.l. "spyware blaster". diddent see firewall,however thats probibly good, 2 firewalls are not good (so I hear). they have conflicts, thats why many will make you uninstalle one before they will let you install another. ?(so ive read)

Two firewalls are not good. You should turn the one on that came with the pc & don't forget to update SpywareBlaster a couple times a month.

Went to "sheildsup" site,,learned a bit. however they state zonealerm is only firewall who passed "leak test". it got thru comodo but sandboxed. I still think comodo is better (based on what ive read). any imput? the site looked a bit dated though

Went to "sheildsup" site,,learned a bit. however they state zonealerm is only firewall who passed "leak test". it got thru comodo but sandboxed. I still think comodo is better (based on what ive read). any imput? the site looked a bit dated though
I started out with Zone Alarm (on XP PRO) many years ago till I was told it was bloated so I went to another one, don't remember but over time, I've used pctools plus firewall, comodo firewall & probably another one.
Now, I'm still on XP Pro & using Windows firewall & no problems.
I'm probably going to be getting W7 next month & won't be using a 3rd party firewall because I've read/heard W7 firewall is good enough.

I use windows vista/7/8 built-in firewall; + mse for vista/7 + avg free or avast free (dual av); windows defender for 8 (single av)
no viruses since 2004.

I got viruses from an infected xp machine running windows xp sp3 (2002-2004), courtesy of a usb flash drive used by a cousin and because of my personal appreciation of the feminine nature; viruses were quickly moved to vault and cleaned by avg6/7 free version.

I use windows vista/7/8 built-in firewall; + mse for vista/7 + avg free or avast free (dual av); windows defender for 8 (single av)
no viruses since 2004.

I got viruses from an infected xp machine running windows xp sp3 (2002-2004), courtesy of a usb flash drive used by a cousin and because of my personal appreciation of the feminine nature; viruses were quickly moved to vault and cleaned by avg6/7 free version.
Personally I'd dump AVG & install Avast & turn off Windows Defender. Both are worthless IMHO

Personally I'd dump AVG & install Avast & turn off Windows Defender. Both are worthless IMHO
that is why it's called personal...:) ...to each his own...

in a nearby city, most computer technicians would recommend eset.

a telecom where a sibling once worked, the preferred av is f-secure.

my gadget-enthusiast cousins prefer avast while I prefer avg because it's able to prevent most usb drive-associated infections.

in my free time, I do remove some local viruses from my cousin's computers using avg free and with caution, a tool called 'noobkiller by leerz'. these viruses were not cleaned by avast/avira/eset.

lately, I noticed many update failures from avg free, compared to always successful update from an avg trial so I began to switch to avast free.
avast free so far, has always updated without glitch as soon as an internet connection is detected.
couple that av with mse for vista/7 and safe surfing habits = virus-free.

hmm; that's highly subjective and also "personal".

Many here recommend Avast! :)

is there a compiled data regarding av preference as to age or region?

I think I read somewhere that kaspersky is quite popular in russia and norton, while called the mother bloatware of all av, still commands a good sales figure in north america.

Back