TechSpot

Amazon, 7-Eleven test locker idea for in-store package pick-up

By Shawn Knight
Sep 6, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon has teamed up with unlikely partner 7-Eleven and will begin testing a locker idea for in-store package pick-up. If successful, the lockers could be installed at 7-Eleven stores across…

Read the whole story

2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

I think this is a good idea. My last employer forbade us from having packages delivered to work and it was a pain to pick them up from the UPS facility.

3. way to think in a insular way Amazon; there's like 12, 7-11's In Canada.. thanks for nothing.

4. heyscotttt

heyscotttt TS Rookie Posts: 21

Does anyone care about Canada?

5. cant you just pick it up at the post office or whoever shipping it for ya, which is the same thing?

6. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 567   +174

If you can't ship to a P.O. box, why can you ship to a box in a 7-Eleven. Just a way to make more money IMO.

7. tehbanz

tehbanz TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

Methinks it'll be a free service, 7-11 is maybe looking to drum up some business.
    I know for a FACT if i shipped one to a 7-11 (which i would if there were any local) I would buy a large Slurpee to go with it! I loves me some Slurpees.
    Also if i needed some gas while i was at the store to pick it up, why would i go elsewhere?

pretty good move on 7-11's part, they're always moving towards the future!

8. Nima304

Nima304 TS Guru Posts: 365   +81

I agree, I'd definitely buy something while I was there. :p

However, UPS always puts the packages on my doorstep if I'm not there. My house is right off the highway, so not many people would see the package anyway. Even when it looks like no one's home (no cars in the driveway), they'll knock on the door and leave. Makes things a lot easier when I order things while on vacation. I probably won't be using this service if it comes out.

9. I can see 7-11 getting robbed just for the packages. What happened to UPS store or Kinkos, Both have similar services. In fact I ran an Ebay business out of the UPS store for a few years.

10. Yeah yeah man, Give me all the cash in the register and what in box number 3.

11. Wonderful, they already have this for years in Germany.

12. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

There are 7-11 stores in Germany that hold Amazon packages for people? I live in Baja California, Mexico and use a mailing service across the border in San Ysidro - which isn't kidding when it says they close at 7 p.m. The 7-11 package-holding service will be a major convenience for me and my wife, and we use both Amazon and the stores that sell through Amazon quite a bit. You bet we'll use the service if it's available nearby, and we'd happily pay a reasonable per-package service fee to get that convenience. And probably pick up a Slurpee at least some of the time.

13. Not a good idea.
    I do not trust the employees at 7-11