Amazon Cash lets you shop online without a credit card

Jos

Staff

Amazon is making it easier to buy on its site for to those who would prefer not linking their debit or credit card with the launch of Amazon Cash. The new service comes as an alternative to purchasing gift cards and essentially allows anyone to apply cash toward their Amazon account, through hundreds of participating brick-and-mortar retailers across the U.S.

Users can generate their Amazon Cash barcode by visiting the Amazon Cash site and then access it through through Amazon’s website and the mobile app. You could also just screenshot or print out your barcode and show it to a clerk in participating stores to deposit funds. Customers can deposit money in amounts between $15 and $500 dollars and this will be available for your next purchases.

Participating retailers include CVS Pharmacy, Speedway, Sheetz, Kum & Go, D&W Fresh Market, Family Fare Supermarkets, and VG's Grocery — with more on the way, according to Amazon.

There is no fee to use Amazon Cash. Walmart and PayPal also offer similar services to appeal to customers that don’t have access to bank or credit cards. As TechCrunch points out, citing a 2015 report from the FDIC, more than a quarter of American consumers rely primarily or exclusively on cash.

Permalink to story.

I didn't see any mention of an "expiration" date. Quite a few of these so called cash cards have a limit on them, after which the retailer gets to keep your cash. These are usually only on gift cards, but I have heard of a few exceptions so be sure to read that God awful fine print!

I didn't see any mention of an "expiration" date. Quite a few of these so called cash cards have a limit on them, after which the retailer gets to keep your cash. These are usually only on gift cards, but I have heard of a few exceptions so be sure to read that God awful fine print!

This is not a card method, it adds the money directly onto your Amazon account from the retailer of your choice

"To use, visit a participating store, show the cashier your barcode to scan, and then pay the amount you want to add to your Amazon Balance"

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=s9_acs...c8-4dc7-9922-6d602af310e8&pf_rd_i=14583169011

In addition this amount never expires. Right from the amazon website

"Your balance will never expire."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/gc/balance?

This is not a card method, it adds the money directly onto your Amazon account from the retailer of your choice

"To use, visit a participating store, show the cashier your barcode to scan, and then pay the amount you want to add to your Amazon Balance"

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=s9_acs...c8-4dc7-9922-6d602af310e8&pf_rd_i=14583169011

In addition this amount never expires. Right from the amazon website

"Your balance will never expire."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/gc/balance?

Yes, I remember when Amazon also promised that they would have all free shipping; that they would accept returns on any products and they would allow every review to be posted ...... I'm afraid you're going to be eating those words in the not too distant future, my friend!

It's a system that has existed for a long time in Brazil. We call it "boleto de cobrança". It is a paper with a barcode that can be generated by a business company, and is backed up by a financial institution to charge a value with a max of two days for processing the payment. Here the only cost is a really small fee for the issuer, for every paper generated and paid. We pay almost everyday bill with it (water, electricity, phone, etc), and they have a lot of patterns and methods of generate it (we call it "covenants") that can permit the company to set a limit date for payment, charge an exactly value (or not), identify the payer, date of the payment and many other things. Basically, it haves the same value as a cash payment, even being preferable, since you have not to handle money.

Yes, I remember when Amazon also promised that they would have all free shipping; that they would accept returns on any products and they would allow every review to be posted ...... I'm afraid you're going to be eating those words in the not too distant future, my friend!

Unless Amazon changes it's policy, those terms are it's own words and are legally binding. They can't just suddenly make people's credits expire in their accounts when they said they would never expire. Forget about the legal troubles that would bring.

I have zero interest in front-loading cash to my online account. The only place that needs to have it is the bank, where it draws interest until I need to buy something.

Unless Amazon changes it's policy, those terms are it's own words and are legally binding. They can't just suddenly make people's credits expire in their accounts when they said they would never expire. Forget about the legal troubles that would bring.

I didn't suggest they could legally make the funds disappear, but you better read up on Amazons terms of use. They specifically state that they can change their terms and by signing up with them, you agree with that .... which nullifies any claims you have about legally binding .... you also agree to arbitration with THEIR arbitrator and the findings ARE legally binding.

I didn't suggest they could legally make the funds disappear, but you better read up on Amazons terms of use. They specifically state that they can change their terms and by signing up with them, you agree with that .... which nullifies any claims you have about legally binding .... you also agree to arbitration with THEIR arbitrator and the findings ARE legally binding.

Changing the terms now does not affect anything already done. So yeah, they could change the terms but it doesn't affect the purchases you already made.

Changing the terms now does not affect anything already done. So yeah, they could change the terms but it doesn't affect the purchases you already made.

I would suggest you sign up for another contract law class ..... the world is changing Ollie, and not always for the better!

I think what most people are MISSING here is that the code is to be able to add funds to your own amazon acct balance. This way for those without Credit Cards,or who don't want to risk having their financial info stored on Amazons system, they can just print out the bar code,go to 1 of the particapating stores(cvs or Kum & Go for my area) and add cash to your acct. balance. Then go home, shop on-line @ Amazon.com and not have to worry about my Credit Card# getting stolen,or having my bank hit for fee's. I have a friend who would buy Pre-paid visa gift cards to use to make his purchases,problem is,they charge a fee for them. From what I'm reading,there is NO fee for this service,and it would give the SAME protection he was using the gift cards for. Yes,I'm a Amazon Prime subscriber,I LIKE my features I get with Prime. Sorry to say,but Uncle Al sounds like an un-satisfied customer. These things happen. Show me a Company with 100% approval(even the apple sheep have a few discontented lambs in the flock)and I'll show U a company rigging their score. While I'm sure it could be used to add to someone ELSE'S acct balance,I believe the main purpose was for those who were dependent on cash/disliked keeping card/bank info ON-LINE.

I think what most people are MISSING here is that the code is to be able to add funds to your own amazon acct balance. This way for those without Credit Cards,or who don't want to risk having their financial info stored on Amazons system, they can just print out the bar code,go to 1 of the particapating stores(cvs or Kum & Go for my area) and add cash to your acct. balance. Then go home, shop on-line @ Amazon.com and not have to worry about my Credit Card# getting stolen,or having my bank hit for fee's. I have a friend who would buy Pre-paid visa gift cards to use to make his purchases,problem is,they charge a fee for them. From what I'm reading,there is NO fee for this service,and it would give the SAME protection he was using the gift cards for. Yes,I'm a Amazon Prime subscriber,I LIKE my features I get with Prime. Sorry to say,but Uncle Al sounds like an un-satisfied customer. These things happen. Show me a Company with 100% approval(even the apple sheep have a few discontented lambs in the flock)and I'll show U a company rigging their score. While I'm sure it could be used to add to someone ELSE'S acct balance,I believe the main purpose was for those who were dependent on cash/disliked keeping card/bank info ON-LINE.
I should clarify: Charge a fee for them= A fee to PURCHASE the pre-paid card. NOT a fee to USE a pre-paid card.

Back