TechSpot

Amazon drops Sprint in favor of AT&T for Kindle 2

By Matthew
Oct 23, 2009
  1. Amazon has quietly dumped Sprint as its carrier for the most recent versions of the Kindle 2. Instead, Amazon's e-book reader will be backed by AT&T's 3G network. A spokesperson for Amazon simply says that, "Due to strong customer demand for the new Kindle with U.S. and international wireless, we are consolidating our family of 6-inch Kindles." The move follows a recent $20 price cut for the Kindle 2, prompted by the launch of Barnes & Noble's "Nook" e-reader, which also makes use of AT&T's network.

Read the whole story

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

I wonder exactly how Amazon is able to procure 3G services from rotten companies like AT&T without a monthly subscription or very, very high price?

3. I'm finding this a bit curious also. Considering the problems AT&T has had trying to keep iPhone users connected this deal with Amazon is interesting.

4. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,924   +548

[sarcasm] Last thing I heard, iPhone users were very satisfied with their AT&T service, so it must be good... [/sarcasm]

5. DarkCobra

DarkCobra TS Rookie Posts: 79

Well Verizon is far from perfect but their 3G foot print is Ginormous compared to AT&T's and AT&T can't even deliver consistent service within the foot print they do have! AT&T may be larger than Sprint but no where near as reliable. They should have stuck with Sprint or went to Verizon.

6. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 612

I know Sprint sucks, but this is like going from gold to glitter...

7. LightHeart

LightHeart TS Rookie Posts: 155

Sounds like a bad move or at least one that has no gain. I believe the Kindle though first out of the gate will not be the Reader winner in the long run.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.